Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Configure main green play button to play an album in sequential order?

Configure main green play button to play an album in sequential order?

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

I just signed up with Spotify Premium and use it on an iPad with iOS 13. I'm surprised to find that when I want to play an album, the main green Play button on the right always plays the album in shuffle mode.  (I can see the shuffle icon as a small badge on the button.) 

I know I can tap the first song to play the album in sequential order, but is there a way to configure the Play button to do that?  I rarely want shuffle mode, and I'd really rather use the Play button to play albums.

6 Replies

Hey @sftobos,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

If you'd like to present your feedback regarding this as an Idea for Spotify, make sure to follow these steps:

1. Go to the Spotify Community
  2. Click on Menu
  3. Click on Ideas > Idea submissions
  4. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Let’s go

As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an Idea gets, the more likely it is for the Idea to be implemented. If you wish to learn more about how your feedback will reach Spotify, feel free to take a look at this article.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Have a nice (and a safe) day!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The fact we're being asked to put this a feature request is laughable. It's how it used to be until a few updates ago. You decided to change the UI, presumably because the devs are too lazy to have different buttons for free & premium anymore.

Just put it back to how it was.

Submit it as a feature request? Are you serious Spotify? Late April Fools joke?

Just about every single other music (streaming) app in the world has a play button that plays music sequentially.

I've had Spotify Premium for almost five years, but the nerve to change this most basic feature, making no effort to communicate the change to users, and then forcing users to campaign and "vote" for it's return - is a sure-fire sign that money might be best spent elsewhere.

This kind of behaviour demonstrates a lack of basic respect for users. The simplest thing that could be done is notify users. This is a fundamental change and should be treated as such.

If you are using Chromecast, the album still plays on shuffle, even if you play the first song manually.

It seems Spotify doesn't want us to listen to albums in order the artists intended anymore.

Is this really a deliberate update? Would love to know the thinking behind this. 

Okay, this seems to be a common problem.

The problem with Chromecast has been fixed by updating the app.

Forcing the play button to shuffle still seems ludicrous though.

I know albums are less relevant these days but they still represent decades of musical output. 

Even if offering shuffle as a default option, why not give paying users the choice to change this? Am I missing something?

Would still love to know the thinking behind this.

Can we get some feedback and additional info here instead of a generic response?

Most apps in this era onboard major changes in features (such as changes in functions to the most basic feature: the PLAY button), but this hasn't been done with Spotify and users have received no explanation... what gives?

Suggested posts