Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cramped iPhone 5c and low data allowance - need a sync solution!

Solved!

Cramped iPhone 5c and low data allowance - need a sync solution!

Hi, I'm posting this question afresh as I've just realised it wasn't relevent to the thread I replied to. 

I have an Apple iPhone 5c with a lousy 4GB of free space. I want to subscribe to Spotify, but I must choose between 

a) using all my iPhone memory by syncing or
b) using all my data allowance by streaming

I don't have a landline or wifi where I live.

Is it possible to sync my offline music to a 'personal cloud' storage device, such as that made by Seagate or Western Digital? Deezer users can set up their accounts to sync to an SD card, so theoretically it must be possible.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

On an Android device it's possible to store your local tracks to an SD card in the device, but such an option is not possible for the iPhone. Unfortunately, unless there is a feature I am unaware of, you are restricted to the two options you listed; either streaming and using your data, or downloading and maxing your storage. Sorry I don't have better news.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

On an Android device it's possible to store your local tracks to an SD card in the device, but such an option is not possible for the iPhone. Unfortunately, unless there is a feature I am unaware of, you are restricted to the two options you listed; either streaming and using your data, or downloading and maxing your storage. Sorry I don't have better news.  

Thank you. I was afraid of that. I wonder if Deezer has a better system. I'll have to look into it.

Hi @Tiburonsmoke, as I posted in the iCloud suggestion thread as welll, I'm not sure how using a personal cloud storage device would help in your situation either, as you would either have to use wifi to stream from the device back to your phone, or you'd be having to use your data if it was on the internet, neither of which you seem to be able to do.

With iOS though, there is no option to save your music offline on anywhere else but the device itself. It is quite difficult to use Spotify without any wifi or a data connection.

It's also worth noting that iPhones do not support SD cards, so your Deezer suggestion would likely not apply to iOS.

Thanks, guys. I though that my iPhone 5c would be able to communicate with the personal cloud drive as they both use wifi. Maybe I need to look into that too. I do apprexiate your help. Regards, Tib

Suggested posts