Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Denon AVR stereo sound

Denon AVR stereo sound

Hi,

For months I have listened to Spotify via iOS connecting to my Denon AVR surround sound. It has played beautifully out of 7.1 speakers.

It no longer does. After investigating settings, disconnecting, reinstalling Spotify I cannot get it to come out of more than the generic 2 front speakers.

Looks like Denon and Spotify had recent firmware updates.

15 Replies

Hey @wagggggggggg,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

Sometimes, those firmware updates could interfere with the proper behavior of the sound when using Spotify through a receiver. In this type of case, even if you already tried a quick install, we'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article (depending on the device you're using). This is often an overlooked step, but it's more thorough than a quick one and can be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble.

If the issue persists, check if the playback options are set correctly in your app settings by making sure that Normalize volume and Mono audio are toggled off.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for your response.

I have those settings turned off on iPhone. However when I connect to surround sound those settings are locked and says ‘these options are not available when listening on another device’.

I have followed instructions for hard clean install but nothing seems to have changed.

I know that some music is stereo only but the sound system used to do an amazing job of ‘faking it’ or at least use all 7.1 speakers.

Do you have another suggestion?

Thanks again. 

Ps all I can see from denon’s change log on their firmware update is 

Fixed: Spotify audio dropout issues with HEOS HS1 category products after U28 update.’

Hey there @wagggggggggg

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Would you mind checking if the same happens using a different device (different phone or PC)?

Also, does the same happen using a different internet connection? 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This same issue started with my with Spotify on the xbox. 

Hey @C4ptainchr0nic,

Thanks for your reply and welcome.

In this case, we'd like to gather as much info as possible. So, would you mind describing to us what's exactly happening on your Xbox? Include as many details as possible.

On another note, just to confirm, is your TV connected to an output audio device? If yes, which device and how is it connected?

Lastly, is this happening when you use the Spotify app on the Xbox or when using the Connect feature from another device? This info we'll help us to continue investigating further.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

My set up is as follows: Xbox series x connected via HDMI to my dennon x1500h AVR. AVR is connected to hue sync box via HDMI and hue sync box is connected to Tv. 

Setting for the Xbox are uncompressed 7.1. 

Up until this issue, I would get full sound from all of my speakers. When this issue started a few days ago, sound from Spotify will only come.out of my front left and right channels. I have not changed any settings on my Xbox or my AVR when the issue started. 

The tv setting are also untouched, but the sound does not reach the tv as I pass everything directly from the Xbox to the AVR which handles the sound. 

I have tried switching the Xbox sound setting to Dolby, to Atmos and this does not change anything (both have given me full sound from all speakers in the past, I just prefer the sound is the 7.1 uncompressed setting.

I have tried with Spotify connect from my phone directly to the receiver within the heos app and the issue doesn't happen. The issue only happens when I use Spotify from the Xbox 

Having the same issue with my Xbox and 5.1 system. Up until two days ago, the music would play through all speakers and subwoofer. Now, only the left and right tower speakers are playing the music. The tower speakers simply do not sound great on their own/without the help from the subwoofer. I think the latest Spotify update switched to stereo mode from 5.1/7.1, and there’s no setting to switch it back. Very frustrated.

I'm frustrated too! Hopefully they fix it or I'm switching to deezer

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

Would you mind checking if the same happens when connecting any other device to the speakers?

We'll be waiting for your replies. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm not sure that I have any other devices I can try, I've tried playing through Spotify on the AVR itself and the problem does not exist. I do have another Xbox, an Xbox one x, that I could hook up and try. Would this work? 

This issue only occurs while using Spotify. Different apps/games on the XBOX work properly.

Games and Netflix are working fine for me too. What kind of receiver are you using? 

Has Spotify issued a fix for this yet? The same is happening with the Spotify app on Android and the Denon AVR-S760H.

Hey everyone,

Our tech folks confirmed that the current configuration of Spotify is set to output audio in Stereo, however, rest assured that our internal teams are working on implementing an option to up-mix the audio in the future. We'll post an update on our For the Record blog when have any new info to share about this.

Hope this clears things up. Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi everyone,

Sorry I can't find the article anywhere.

Did this issue get fixed? I'm still here sitting with a 5.1 system and only having the two stereo ones firing. 

Thanks for an update

Suggested posts