Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Exploring new ways of adding items to "Your Library"

Solved!

Exploring new ways of adding items to "Your Library"

Hey there folks,

Our design team has started exploring new ways to add items to "Your Library". This is why we'd love to hear your feedback on the new implementations, because those changes are done with the goal to better your experience on our platform.

The design may differ in either having a heart symbol or a plus sign with other subtle differences.

If you're part of this undertaking, post your constructive feedback in this thread and the relevant team will review it. 

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Top Answer
Yordan

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to share your constructive feedback on the recent changes, we appreciate it! Rest assured that we're actively monitoring this thread and taking notes, so do keep on submitting your suggestions here!

So far, the following main areas of feedback have been taken taken into account and forwarded to the relevant team (this being a summary, with the actual report being more in-depth):

• Adding a whole album to a playlist is really useful.
  • Swiping to add a song to the user's Liked Songs is practical.
  • Adding songs to other playlists works well, but adding songs to the Liked list now takes more actions, which isn't ideal.
  • The "heart" symbol in Now Playing view just looks visually better to you and makes it easier to tell if a track has been added specifically to your Liked Songs.
  • Tracks no longer having a "heart" symbol on the artist page or when viewing albums and playlists is dearly missed.
  • When tapping the "plus" symbol, the Liked Songs playlist should be deselected OR it should be separate from the "heart".

Don't worry - the current changes are something we're still testing out, so they aren't final. The purpose of these tests is exactly to help us improve the app thanks to your input. Gathering and evaluating all of your feedback may take some time as we don't want to miss any of it, so please give us a few weeks to process all of the information and get things finalized.

We'll continue to monitor this thread for your suggestions and pass them on to the relevant team. We'll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new information to share.

Besides letting us know what you're missing from the recent changes, it'd be really helpful if you could point out what you really enjoy (or maybe want to see) in regards to adding songs/episodes to your playlists and library.

Thanks again for making Spotify better and apologies for any inconvenience for the time being!

519 Replies

Hello!

I understand that the Liked songs playlist is important for most of the users but I wish there’s any way to get the Add to playlists feature where you could’ve seen all the playlists where the song is in back! It was very useful for me personally, I always add songs to a few playlists at once and it was so helpful to see in which of your playlists a song is in a single window! Because it also helps to delete a song from all the playlists you have when it’s needed. And you also don’t have to open and click the “Add to playlist” millions of times when you want to add it to more than one playlist and fail when you think that some playlist doesn’t have the song when it does! Please let us choose to have that test feature if we want to have it.

As someone who likes to add songs to multiple playlist I was loving the tick design, being able to see what playlist I’ve already added something to was saving me a lot of time. I’m gutted that it’s returned to adding songs to a playlist blindly one at a time. I know not everyone organises their spotify libraries in the same way but I would love to at least have the option to turn the tick box feature back on as I found it super useful

The hearts are randomly back and I gotta say I’m disappointed.

It must be tough because users were mad the heart vanished, and now users are going to be mad the playlist tick vanished. Spotify needs an opt in feature and needs to notify us of these changes.

I personally was a fan of the playlists tick, but a balance of the two would be ideal. The top answer on this thread sounds like they’ll go in that direction. But now I’m dealing with blindly adding songs to playlists again and after experiencing what it’s like on the other side, this is a step backwards.

Bring the playlist tick back at least as a toggle on/off feature.

surely a compromise of keeping the ‘heart’ one-click save feature but updating the ‘add to playlist’ function with the tick-box design would suit everyone?

I agree, the heart and the improved playlist interface they tested are not mutually exclusive

The idea has some merit, the issue with the feature as implemented was:

A. It removed useful functionality without replacing it (eg, adding albums to playlists) and

B. It was tested on paying subscribers without their consent!

This was a change that required some “lucky” Premium users to adapt to a new (and largely not improved) library paradigm with minimal explanation and no way to opt out of their lab rat status. Moreover, outcry was quarantined to one thread on this site and effectively ignored for months. The experiment ended quietly and no apology was made.

Please, please stop leveraging A/B nonsense for major unpolished projects like this. Use it for things like the Friends tab I currently see on iOS, which doesn’t really detract from the rest of the experience and is less of a big deal.

I think it’s frustrating that if I want to add a song to my library, I need to Like the entire album. Liking a single song only adds it to my Liked Songs playlist. I wish I could add a song to my library without needing to Like a whole album.

Hi Dian,

Upon noticing I was able to add a song to multiple playlists through multi-select functionality I was overjoyed.
It made the entire experience 10x better as I didn’t have to go through the rather tedious:
(0. Tap song playing)

1. … three dots
  2. Add to playlist
  3. Select playlist, 

X amount of times for X playlists, with 1 second waiting time between three dots, and 2 seconds waiting time upon clicking Add to playlist

This was cumbersome.

The new feature allowed me to easily select the playlists the song belongs to and gave an overview to which one it was already added, thereby removing the slow process of clicking Don’t Add. 

Sure you know had to deselect it from Liked songs, but this was still super fast. 

To my chagrin the UI has returned to the old way, I truly hope the team reimplements the new and improved experience. 

Cheers

I don’t have that feature….yet. But I am still happy my UI is back where it was, and where it belongs. 

When I added a song to a playlist it used to show all of my playlists and I used to be able to see a green check mark next to it and see all of the playlists that song was in and could add it to as many playlists as I wanted to. Now I have to click the playlists individually. I think it was taken out with the most recent update because I was just able to select multiple playlists last week

I really liked being able to add a song to multiple playlists at once! I have a playlist for every mood, genre, artist, etc. so I often put one song in a lot of different playlists. It’s so much easier than pressing “add to playlist” for every single one. 

I’m having my heart again now and I have to say, I really miss the feature. I’m having lots of Playlist for different mood and like to add a song to my likes and to playlists. Now everything is more tedious again. 

I loved it!!

Devasted that I only had it for about two weeks. I think the current “add to playlist” method is laborious for people who want to add a song to multiple playlists on mobile.

Having to press “…” and add it to a playlist, which triggers the closing of the entire window after doing so, making me have to repeat the process however many times for however many playlists, seems counterintuitive.

The update I saw kept the window up so that I could select as many playlists as I wanted for the song, which filled the respective empty circles and kept them filled so that if, later, I wanted to see which playlists of mine had that song, I simply referred to the filled in circles. And when I was done, I saved my changes and *then* the window would close.

Currently, I just get the “Add anyway?” notification when I make that mistake, because there is no visual queue giving me info on my playlist, before I mistakenly attempt to double up on songs.

Please make it a permanent change! It made playlist-building on mobile so much easier. It was my favorite feature on mobile, so far.(Other than the ability to long press a song and hear a preview of it. But you all axed that a long time ago, so I won’t push it) 😉

I love being able to see which playlists a song is in just by clicking a button instead of having to guess and see the “Add to playlist again?” message appear. It’s also very helpful to be able to add a song to multiple playlists at once. I thought the best system was when we were able to press the heart button once to add to Liked Songs, while also being able to tap it again to get into the playlist menu. Hope this feedback helps!

Exactly this! Why get me used to a certain way just to switch it back? Really getting sick of being a lab rat

If you are going to implement the tick box playlist function (which I really really hope you are) the only thing that would have improved it would be an auto-save feature whereby swiping down by accident when trying to scroll through your playlists wouldn’t cancel all the boxes you’d ticked. A minor detail in an otherwise very well designed feature. I hope it gets reintroduced permanently soon

Please bring back the ease &  ability to add one song to multiple play list at one time 

Please bring back the plus sign. It was the greatest update you ever did. When it went live about a month ago, I texted my friends with glee. I’m someone who adds songs to multiple playlists. It was so nice discovering a song I liked and hitting the plus song to add it to my gym, rap, and party playlists in one motion. I would gladly pay more a month just to have the plus sign back that’s how much I loved it. Is there anyway to bring it back? Can I revert my Spotify to an older version?

While we’re on it, I’ve always said it would be great if Spotify implemented a “smart” playlist; a playlist where you would set parameters and it would update automatically. This functionality was on another music service that won’t be named but basically you could set parameters like “limit to 25 songs” and “most recently added to: PLAYLIST”

This way I could have a playlist with all of my favorite country songs of all time. Then I could have a smart playlist of “recent country” and it would just be the 25 most recent country songs I added to my country playlist. When a new country song gets added, the 25th most recent gets bumped off the list. 

Please bring back the the playlist button that let’s users add a song to multiple playlists. It’s easier to add to songs to playlists with this feature instead of having to press the three dots and “Add to Playlist” button every time I want to add a song. Pretty please add this back!! I miss the button a lot :((

Suggested posts