Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Google Assistant opens app, but doesn't play song on iPhone

Google Assistant opens app, but doesn't play song on iPhone

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

iPhone 11 Pro

Operating System

iOS 13.3

I have recently started using Google Assistant to play Spotify in the car as Siri just flat out refuses to. I have the shortcut set up so I can tell Siri "Ok Google" and it will go to the assistant app. I ask assistant to "play my quarantine playlist on Spotify" as I have a personal playlist downloaded called "Quarantine." It will navigate to the page in the Spotify app, but not start playing the music. I have been scouring the posts on this forum, but have had no luck. Spotify currently has microphone access and is marked as my music preference in the Google Assistant app. I have restarted my phone, closed and opened both Assistant and Spotify to no avail. Any help would be appreciated!

6 Replies

Hey there @musette6487,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. Could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this?

If you are, can you let us know if you've already tried to log out > restart your device > log back in 2 times to sync things up? It's also a good idea to try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app to clear any old files that might be causing issues.

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I did a clean reinstall of Spotify, but am still having issues. 

I have a very similar problem: I say 'ok google' and assistant opens. I say 'play led zeppelin', assitant says 'sure, I'll play led zeppelin in Spotify', and it opens Spotify to the default screen, but nothing more happens.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your replies. We'll do our best to help you sort this out.

@musette6487, just to confirm, did you notice anything new after logging out, restarting the device and logging back in? If you're still having issues, could you try with a different device? Let us know how it goes.

@jlous, would you mind letting us know which steps you've already tried? This will help us give you better suggestions. 

Keep us posted! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Thank you. I am still having trouble, even after redownloading Spotify. It now will play playlists reliably, but only when there is no music currently playing. If I ask it to "shuffle jams playlist" it will only play the playlist from the beginning. In the car, I had it fail three times in a row when I ask to change my music to another playlist. It is so erratic that I cannot use it in the car. When it fails, it opens up the main Spotify page, not even the playlist. 

Hi there @musette6487,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you make sure you run a clean reinstall of the app, following the steps in this Spotify Answer exactly. This is a bit different than simply deleting and re-downloading the app.

Also, can you try asking a friend to log in with their account on your device and check whether you get the same results?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts