Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Hacking?? Spotify stops chosen song and plays random, unknown song

Hacking?? Spotify stops chosen song and plays random, unknown song

Hi! 

So recently, I‘m experiencing a major issue when using spotify. I‘m chosing a song from a playlist and it starts playing. After some of time, mostly between 5 and 30 seconds and never above, a random other song starts to play. These are no songs I know, no songs from my personal playlists or any playlist I have subscribed for. All of this is super random.

Also, my Spotify is all of a sudden connected with a Chrome browser I don‘t know! I can disconnect, however, it won’t prevent Spotify from showing this strange behavior again.

i never play with the settings either.

Is anyone experiencing this as well? I assume it could be a hacking issue. Hackers use existing Spotify accounts to push songs. 

It’s annoying because I can‘t Spotify on such days. 

Plan

Premium

Country

Switzerland 

Device

(iPhone 😎

Operating System

(iOS10)

14 Replies

Hey @smueller, I'll be happy to help! 

Sorry to hear that you think someone else has gained access to your Spotify account. Check out this support article for the next steps to take.

Thanks!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Billy-J

I‘m not sureabout it to be honest but I will follow the steps.

however, couldn‘t it also be a bug or a setting I might need to disable to prevent Spotify from changing to random Songs? It says „Discover“ at the top of that playlist that starts randomly...I think it could be less worse than I thought

Hey @smueller.

Spotify shouldn't be playing songs by itself unless there is someone else on your account that is also listening to their tunes on Spotify. If you don't remember anyone using your account - I'd recommend using the link I provided in my last reply for further help.

Have a great day 🙂 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

this is happening to me right now!!! exactly the same with the devices chrome browser thing 

This is literally happening to me right now. I was listening to music then randomly my song paused and some random song showed up, it was paused too but i noticed my phone was connected to a device. I changed my pass and logged out of everything asap and 2 songs later it happened again.

ok as im typing this, it happened again smh..

Happening to me Right now. If I change the song the same song by Betty Barter or some **bleep** starts playing. I pause it and it starts to play again. I play a different song and a couple secs later it changes back to Betty. It's listed as playing on Web Player (Chrome).

Screenshot_20200110-202659_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20200110-191252_Sonos.jpg

Hey there @Flytyed,

Sorry to hear this is happening to you right now! 

The best thing you can do to secure your account is to follow the steps given in this article

After you've done this, we recommend you to take the extra steps on keeping your account safe in the long run.

We hope this helps, keep us posted! 

PetyaModerator

Did anyone actually work out how to stop this happening?

Hey there @smueller, @Camilaba101, @ossiexz, @jamesmoorey23 and @Flytyed

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

We suggest you follow the directions given by @Petya

First of all, make sure you check the steps described here. They'll give you the basic measures for securing your Spotify account. Go through all the steps to be sure you covered all possible scenarios.  

After that, check if you can spot the same behavior. In case you do, go to this help page for additional security steps. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. We'll look out for your reply! 

Hi,
I could have write the exact same text.
I am experiencing the exact same issue with Spotify.
I disconnect,install , delete, re install the app but nothing changes.
The app and my ios are updated so I don’t know what to do now and it’s really annoying
Help

Hey there @Margotvanhuzen,

Thanks for jumping in here! 

Have you followed the exact steps to secure your account as given here?

The most important thing is to reset your password and then log out of all devices. 

If that doesn't help, there's info how to get in touch with support.

Let us know how it goes!

PetyaModerator

I just fixed my account. Go to your account by clicking on the down arrow on the top right next to your name and select Account. It will take you to your browser and open up your Spotify profile page. Scroll down and select Log out of Everywhere.
Next go to the Apps section and remove all permissions for the various apps - Google, Navigation, Waze, Tesla etc.
Finally, Reset your password and when you get a link to reset set up a new password and try to log in and play spotify. On the botton right of your app, you should not see any other devices available like the Chrome Web player. If that is the case you have fixed your problem.
Good luck

I also had this problem recently. It kept switching away from the playlists I had selected and playing from two other playlists I’d never heard of. Both were created by the same user, so I have to believe that is who hacked me. I had to change my password to get the issue to stop.  

Hi there @qualpro and @TrinSten,

Thank you for your replies and what worked for you.

We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should again for you 🙂

If you think that your account been hacked again, we suggest that you have a look at this article.

It's also good to have a look at this article that provides you information on how you can protect your account.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts