Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How Much Storage Do 320kbps Songs Occupy on Spotify Premium?

How Much Storage Do 320kbps Songs Occupy on Spotify Premium?

Hi!

I recently got Spotify Premium so I am using the offline feature on my iOS device. I have 189 songs and the option for the music quality I picked is extreme (320kbps). My device says Spotify is using 705MB. Is that how much storage 189 320kbps usually occupy or should it be more? Or my songs offline aren't on 320kbps?

Thanks in advance

6 Replies

Hi, and welcome to the community!

I just did a bit of digging and someone posted the data usage for songs on mobile offline as being:

Quality 96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute.
Quality 160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute.
Quality 320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute.

So 2.4mb per min, multiply that a few times and 705 sounds about right depending on your song length. Either way, to make sure you can always reinstall the spotify app and resync making sure extreme is ticked before the syncing begins, but thats up to you.

Anthony 🙂

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Yeah, I knew that. So 705MB seems right? I was guessing it would be around 1GB+ coz an average song is about 3 mins or so. Do you think it might hae saved in 160kbps even though I checked Extreme? So should I reinstall Spotify? I've already tried to remove my phone on the offline devices then readd it, does that count? Or just reinstall?

Oh yeah, since I also removed the device and I resynced it, it's not appearing on My Offline Devices. Why though?

@kwilliamnrys 

If you have removed a device from the offline devices page, it can take up to 24 hours for it to reappear there. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hmmm I reinstalled Spotify and made sure that Extreme is checked in the Music Quality first before saving my songs and it's still the same: around 600-700MB of storage for 189 320kbps songs, weird 😕

Also, I rechecked my offline devices and now my phone is listed twice 😕

If extreme quality is selected and the songs have been downloaded, then for sure the songs downloaded will be 320kbps.

That amount of space sounds about right to me.

I have been using the iOS app since 2011 so I know a lot about it.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts