Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How am I streaming my local files (on my windows PC) from my iPhone?

How am I streaming my local files (on my windows PC) from my iPhone?

I know this title probably makes no sense at all. But I'll try my best to explain what I mean here.

ueW2vDR

If you enlarge this screenshot above, you can see that there are some tracks in this playlist where the artist names are grey (obviously that means they're local files) and im able to play them and everything is normal.

But one thing I noticed the other day, I left my house and I was going through my playlist from my phone, and I was able to play these tracks. And my computer was off.

playlist.png

It shows the download icon next to each one (i have this playlist set to download) so i thought maybe i just had these songs in my Apple Music library or something and didn't even notice it.

applemusic.png

I don't have any music downloaded on my phone.

Does anyone know why I'm able to do this??

2 Replies

Hi @xnfo

If you add local files to a playlist by the desktop player and set the playlist to download on your phone, the files are automatically copied to your phone so you can listen to them on the go. Take note that this synchronization will only work if the 2 devices are connected to the same network/wi-fi.

You can read more at the official support article about local files.

Happy listening 🙂

Hey @, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

I'll tell you what it is, it is

Just kidding, but it's true in some way.

Since you added those local files in your desktop app, and marked the playlist you later added the local files to be downloaded they became available in your iPhone as well. Since all this was done through Spotify, as this is one of the Premium features of Spotify, they won't appear in the Apple Music local directory.

Here's a support article to learn more about local files.

Hope it helps! 🙂

Suggested posts