Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can you make Albums available offline?

Solved!

How can you make Albums available offline?

How do you make albums available to listen to offline on Spotify?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

To make an album available for listening to offline you must convert it to a playlist.

If you search for an album then press the menu button you'll see "Add as playlist". Select this.

Now you should see that album in your playlist view which if you select you'll then be able to toggle the 'Available Offline' button.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

One of the many ways in which the new design doesn't connect with user expectations! I like the new album catagorisation, why you can't make those albums available offline without having to convert to a playlist is beyond me. Still a lot of work to be done Spotify!

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi,

To make an album available for listening to offline you must convert it to a playlist.

If you search for an album then press the menu button you'll see "Add as playlist". Select this.

Now you should see that album in your playlist view which if you select you'll then be able to toggle the 'Available Offline' button.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
Marked as solution

One of the many ways in which the new design doesn't connect with user expectations! I like the new album catagorisation, why you can't make those albums available offline without having to convert to a playlist is beyond me. Still a lot of work to be done Spotify!

100% agree with brokenbeep !
An album is an album, a playlist is à playlist...
I dońt understand why everything should be à playlist with IOS apps, but not with android apps

You should be able to make an album available offline now by adding it to your music collection on iOS.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

There is a similar topic into the Ideas area, I think is one of the main complaint from users around the globe.

@Brokenbeep wrote:

You can add the Album to My Music and go into the album under My Music and available offline that album.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Maybe... But not on Windows Phone or iPad. I only have these two devices and none of them lets me enjoy the new Your Music feature...

"How do you make albums available to listen to offline on Spotify?"

By subscribing to another service such as Rdio or Beats that has an offline mode that actually works. Just a casual glance on these boards will show you that many, many people are having this same problem and that Spotfiy is doing nothing about it.

Saving albums as their own playlists isn't a solution, either. It's a band-aid to a problem that is persistent. Don't believe the Kudos-hungry people that tell you otherwise—the app is broken and has been for quite some time.

I am using the desktop version, so yo ucan't make an album playable offline, you have to convert to a playlist ?

This is nuts, I spent some time covnerting my existing playlists to albums where possible, now I have to go back.

Also this website doesn;t render correctly in chrome.

That's so weird... on the mobile app (android) I can get albums offline and not in the desktop app !?

I deleted old playlists made from albums as they became (hopefully) useless on my phone, but now I've to make some again as I'll have to use my laptop offline for a few days... altough personnaly I don't need that a lot, you should let the desktop app work the same way as the mobile app... would be usefull for those who often use their computers offline, in many places...

Sorry to necro this thread but will this ever been fixed? When will we Premium Users be able to play our saved albums in offline mode on the desktop app?

@Spotify: Why haven't you fixed this till now?

The complaint is years old now. Either fix it or just be honest that you don't want us to have this option. For a major company it's ridiculous not being able to solve such a minor problem. Even in Napster's high-end-beta-desktop-app this is possible. If neither of you can provide decent user experience, I might as well go back...

I came here asking the same question as to why there is a play offline function for albums on the mobile apps (iOS too) but not desktop. Seems like something simple to add but maybe not?

This is absolutely ridiculous. I was evaluating Spotify to decide, for a Family subscription, whether to switch away from Apple Music that I have been using just for myself now, as my wife has been usig Spotify. I first evaluated Spotify years ago and the interface was horrible pure clutter. It still is, simply cluttered, but I could live with that to get a cheaper price on a family subscription. But not even being able to make albums avialable offline. No thanks. I think we'll both switch to Apple Music. 

This must be related to the rights surely? I can't imagine it's technically difficult to do given you can save playlists offline. But perhaps the record labels don't want you to save albums so easily? Such a shame either way as really would like this feature.

Having to create a new playlist for an album I wan to have offline is a terrible user experience. It clutters my list of playlists and it ends up becoming a list of playlists/albums... things I curated and others I didn't.

There is no way to save an album offline in the Spotify Windows desktop app and that is frustrating.

That would be my guess. I have more confidence in Spotify than to think they aren't competent enough to fix this problem. 

Well that's dumb.  I can't even come up with a reason why you can't just download the album directly.  This is doable on Android but not on desktop? Again, that's just dumb.

In reply to Daniel's comment (below),

Isn't this misleading? It applies only to the desktop app. On the phone apps you don't have to add the album as a playlist. You can download the album directly and skip the playlist step. At least I can. 

Spotify is extremely confusing in the way it has completely different systems for desktop and phones. Even using different language to describe the same functions. Why is this so hard? 

Hi,

Suggested posts