Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I stream (not download) songs on iOS from a playlist created on desktop?

How do I stream (not download) songs on iOS from a playlist created on desktop?

Premium user in US

iPhone X using Spotify for iOS 8.4.61.719

Spotify for Mac 1.0.84.344

I have a bunch of playlists created on Spotify for Mac that contain a mix of local files and normal Spotify-hosted songs.

When I try to play the playlists on my iPhone, the songs are grayed out and will only play if I download them. I would expect this for local files, but not for songs that were Spotify-hosted.

Is there a way to refresh the playlist so that the songs already hosted by Spotify can be streamed from this playlist? I don't want to download the songs because space is running low on my phone and I have an unlimited data streaming plan.

It seems silly that I can't stream a song from the playlist but I can search for that exact same song outside the context of the playlist and find it on Spotify and stream it. I am certain the song is the Spotify-hosted version because when I view the song on the desktop Mac Spotify app the song album is not grayed out and sharing options are available for the song...

Any help appreciated!

1 Reply

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Suggested posts