Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do you find older history

Solved!

How do you find older history

How do you find older history of artists or albums you played not showing currently in artists or album section of history

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @grooveyardgary, thanks for letting me know!

You can view what songs you have listened to in the Desktop app, head into Play Queue and then click on History. Also, I recommend voting for this similar idea. Lastly, you can check out last.fm for more possibilities on saving your listening history. Let me know if there's anything else.

Thanks, take care! ๐Ÿ™‚

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @grooveyardgary, sorry for the delay!

I'm afraid it's not possible to view the playback history on your iPhone. I recommend enabling the integration with Last.FM. That way, everything you listen will be saved on Last.FM. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care! ๐Ÿ™‚

HuboSpotify Star

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @grooveyardgary, thanks for letting me know!

You can view what songs you have listened to in the Desktop app, head into Play Queue and then click on History. Also, I recommend voting for this similar idea. Lastly, you can check out last.fm for more possibilities on saving your listening history. Let me know if there's anything else.

Thanks, take care! ๐Ÿ™‚

HuboSpotify Star

Thanks Huib I have only used Spotify on my iPhone.If I down load the desktop app on my computer will that give me more info as to past history ?

Right now I am trying to find an album I played but not downloaded that Incant remember the artist.Inhad switches phones but it is not showing up in my past artists or albums list.So I am trying to find out how to go back and itโ€™ll the only app I have used is on my iPhone 

Marked as solution

Hey @grooveyardgary, sorry for the delay!

I'm afraid it's not possible to view the playback history on your iPhone. I recommend enabling the integration with Last.FM. That way, everything you listen will be saved on Last.FM. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care! ๐Ÿ™‚

HuboSpotify Star

Ok, so here's the thing. How can Spotify make my 'year in review' or whatever, list of songs I listened to the most over the last year, if they don't keep a complete history of what I have listened to and how many times I've listened to it?

Frankly, I'm **bleep** near heartborken that I forgot to save a song from last week's Discover Weekly, and pretty sure Spotify likes it that way, otherwise, why wouldn't they let me see the data they so obviously keep??? 

From another angle, it seems impossible for Spotify to compensate Artists based on the number of plays if they don't keep track of the number of plays of their songs, which most likely contains metadata on which users or user accounts played their music. In fact, this could be extraordinarily valuable data for Artists, especially if it shows them where their music is the most popular if there is a geolocation component to the metadata.  I also was able to dig up a somewhat sketchy program that seems to hack your desktop spotify player to access this data. 

Why does Spotfiy willfully keep us from seeing what we have listened too, what possible advantage could be had through this non-sensical process?

As far as I understand it is not legal for spotify to collect information on users without making that information available to the user in question.  I had my spotify choosimg songs on a long drive and I was heart broken that the music spotify picked and played through my android device is not available to me through the desktop or any other way.  Who do I need to contact to get this information and do I need to involve a lawyer to make it happen?

It is possible to access your listened songs history for everything that you have listened in the last year.

While Spotify at the moment makes it impossible to access the data in the app, they do hold on to it for many reasons, as pointed out by the others above, and the Spotify terms of service document.

Luckily for us, there is this nice law called GDPR that forces companies to provide you a way to get all the data that they have about you, which we can use to our advantage until Spotify makes the long term history available conveniently through the app. Go to data privacy section in the Spotify website, and there they provide you a way to download ALL of your data, which of course includes your list of streamed songs for the last year. However, it may take some days for them to mail you the data.

So with that, you can recover back in time what you were listening much further than the listen history in the app. ๐Ÿ™‚

how do i head into the play queue?

Hey there, 

Thanks for posting in this thread. We'll gladly explain some more.

The button that can take you to the play queue looks like this -  

For mobile/ tablet tap on Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen. You will find it in the bottom-right corner. If you're using Desktop app/ Spotify Web Player the button is again in the bottom - right corner. Look at the screenshot below for reference.

Cheers!

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @grooveyardgary

I had a similar issue and tried googling to no avail BUT went to Spotify... selected search... selected Playlists... and then started typing "Your"... Spotify then offered me 'Your Top Songs 2019", "Your Top Songs 2020" etc. Hopefully, what you are searching for can be found like this! 

I think you can download it there: https://www.spotify.com/us/account/privacy

Suggested posts