Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to disable auto-updates

How to disable auto-updates

It appears my app was updated even though I have all settings related to apps doing any automatic disabled in IOS - which I find disturbing.

Am I missing something or is Spotify jumping around the IOS settings?

I have only been subbed up for few months so maybe the vets have already figured it out or everyone is fine with it -which I would also find disturbing.

Thanks!

3 Replies

Which updates are you reffering to?

Some UI/visual changes can be made to the app via a push from Spotify's server. 

If you are talking about the actual app increasing in version number, apps cannot be updated from the app store automatically unless you have that setting in IOS turned on or you went to the app store and tapped on "update".

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Maybe that was it.   I will log the rev to check the next time it happens, but the ability to push any changes without my consent is pretty scary.  I always cut off everything that is auto anything related to any device/app/etc,  so this was a big wtf moment for me.

I knew, like most things these days, that the value of the social aspects was put in front of security, but this took it to a new level that I did not expect.  Quite the honeypot is being built here.

Once again I must weigh the risk vs reward of this app.  I would expect such things in the free versions of apps, but I expect options regarding my security on something that I pay for.

Some things can be pushed from their server because there are a lot of views inside of the app that are actually loaded from Spotify's server. For example, when you go to an artist page, any changes to that can be pushed out without an app update. Apps such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc can also make changes like this without an app update. Their server is not pushing updates to the actual installation of the app. Instead, the app is fetching an updated view from the server. 

Most changes though require an app update.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts