Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to get an App compatible to older iOS versions

Solved!

How to get an App compatible to older iOS versions

Hi,

I have a 1st Gen Pad with iOS 5.1.1 on it.

I downloaded a compatible Spotify App for this version that was running well, now I made the mistake to select "update All" apps and now I cannot use Spotify anymore (current App is compatible with iOS6 an onwards). how do I resume my older App? After the upgrade I cannot even see Spotify listed in the Apps I have installed on the device.

Any help/hint is welcomed!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

gymshoe,

Try going into iTunes without your device plugged into your computer and finding the app. "Buy" it through iTunes and let it install into iTunes. Once it is fully installed in iTunes, go to your iPod touch, go to the app icon, find the app you want, and "buy" and it again. It should then give you the option for a compatible version to install. Just don't connect your device to your computer during any of this process. You can't let the app update on the iPod either or it wouldn't work.

Since you already tried this, you may have to delete the app from your iTunes account first and then go through these steps. Also, make sure your iTunes and iPod have the same Apple account.

Keep in mind some of the newer apps out there now do not have compatible versions for the older iOS versions. I guess the developers just don't find it necessary. However, this worked fine for Spotify and a few other apps for me. It did not work on a newer app I tried though.

Good luck! Let me know if it worked for you.

View solution in original post

54 Replies

If you go to App Store > Purchased can you install the last supported version of Spotify from there?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter,

That doesn´t work. It just lists Spotify fromt he date I installed on the device, and if you select it, it takes you to the same App store page where the latest Spotify App is available for download.

If someone knows how from Spotify side to download a compatible version of the App outside the App store?

I'm escalating this as an issue for you to the staff to see if anyone there has any ideas. 

Peter

@Peter wrote:

I'm escalating this as an issue for you to the staff to see if anyone there has any ideas. 

Any luck with the escalation? My wife has a premium account but she says she is going to cancel because she can't use Spotify anymore on her 1st gen Ipad. Thanks!

Still waiting for a solution I'm afraid. 😞

Peter

I  too have the same problem. I am not able to use my spotify premium membership on my iPod touch (running iOS 5.1.1 and cannot be upgraded). I have also checked other community boards and they do not have a resolution either. Would love to hear any suggestions! 

Thank you in advance!

I did bump this with the staff yesterday, they are still chasing this up for you guys. 

Peter

Please help with this. The only reason I purchased a membership for Spotify Premium is so that I could use it at the gym on my ipod. Now my ipod says I have to update to ios6 and I have no idea how to do that or to install an earlier version of spotify.

Hi esergovich,

I don't know if your iPod can be updated to iOS 7, but it can be updated to iOS 6 if you are getting the notification. There are two ways you can do this:

The first is to plug your iPod into your computer and open iTunes (if it doesn't open by default), and select your iPod when it shows up on the top right side of the iTunes screen. This will bring you to the main window for your iPod. Look for the update your iPod option and select it. iTunes will update you to iOS 6 but if you are not able to update to iOS 7, I think you are in the same position we are, looking for an older version of spotify. If it updates to iOS 7, you can get the new spotify app and should be all set to use your premium account.

The second option is to go to the settings icon on the iPod itself and find General. Tap the software update option. It will update you to iOS 6 and hopefully 7. If it doesn't update you to iOS 7 but only 6, I would try it a second time after it updates to iOS 6, just to be sure. 

Good luck!   

Hello,

I have the same problem.

But in itunes it shows that i have iOS 5.1.1 and that there are no other uptdates possible.

I have an i pod touch where  I would like to use my spotify premium account.

Do you have an idea how to use sptofiy on an i pod touch wit iOS 5.1.1???

Bine

I'm experiencing the same exact problem -- Spotify for iOS 5 used to be its own app in the App Store but now it's gone...any chance this can be escalated to someone on staff?

Has been (more than once) over the past few weeks, still waiting on a solution I'm afraid.

Peter

Hi there, from what I understand you guys are looking for a way to sideload an older version of Spotify on your devices running iOS 5.

Sadly I'm not the big saviour you're waiting on, but I might be able to help a few of you. IF you backed up your device on iTunes BEFORE you installed the new (and incompatible) Spotify version, there's a quite simple way to revert back to that older version. It's all explained better here if this link doesn't work the full URL is bellow. 

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/07/revert-to-older-version-ios-app-itunes.html

Even if you have backed up your device afterwards have a look through Trash. That's where iTunes puts the old backups. If you're lucky you might find a file called Spotify x.x.x.ipa (x is the version number). If you use Time Machine on Mac or a file backup on Windows you can also try locating your backed up apps that way.

SIDELOADING: As you might notice, your backed up apps all end in ".ipa" which is the file extension for iOS apps just like ".exe" is the extension for Windows programs and ".dmg" for Mac etc.

You might now think to yourself "couldn't I just find an older .ipa version of spotify and install it through iTunes?" and I think it's possible but I'm still investigating that. It might be that your iOS device needs jailbreaking which isn't our optimal solution. The main problem is that there are very few of these older .ipa versions of Spotify circulating on the web but I will keep you guys posted if I find something.

I've also emailed support to see if I can get a file directly from them but it's highly unlikely.

Keep the hope up guys, we all love Spotify, it's just sad that we're getting screwed by the app 😛

Good luck,

Daniel

On my ios5 touch if you download the app on the device from the App Store it just gave me the option to download the last compatible version of the app. Work fine for me.

Yeah that's what I thought too but it seems some people couldn't do that. But maybe Apple have fixed that now.

Anyway it seems like some people are having problems with the iOS 4 app not being availble anymore though so I just posted my solution to roll back to a previous version. I managed to easily go from version 0.9.2 to 0.8.0 on my iPod Touch with iOS 6. It didn't fix my problem though, as I was looking to get offline search back but it seems like the change has been implemented on the server and not in the app itself 😞

This is true! I just tried it and it worked for me after months of not being able to do this. Apple must have fixed the issue, finally! I can now use my Spotify premium account on my iPod touch running iOS 5. Thank you Madpfc!

I have older iPod touch with ios 5.1.1 (which cannot be upgraded past this version), and it still does not give me the option to load a compatible version, like others are reporting.  I have tried logging in to the App store directly from the device, and also by connecting my device to my computer and using iTunes.  

Interestingly, I have an Android device, and on the Google Play site, they give options for downloading the current or prior version, but not in the Apple App store...

Any help appreciated.

Marked as solution

gymshoe,

Try going into iTunes without your device plugged into your computer and finding the app. "Buy" it through iTunes and let it install into iTunes. Once it is fully installed in iTunes, go to your iPod touch, go to the app icon, find the app you want, and "buy" and it again. It should then give you the option for a compatible version to install. Just don't connect your device to your computer during any of this process. You can't let the app update on the iPod either or it wouldn't work.

Since you already tried this, you may have to delete the app from your iTunes account first and then go through these steps. Also, make sure your iTunes and iPod have the same Apple account.

Keep in mind some of the newer apps out there now do not have compatible versions for the older iOS versions. I guess the developers just don't find it necessary. However, this worked fine for Spotify and a few other apps for me. It did not work on a newer app I tried though.

Good luck! Let me know if it worked for you.

You're a genius. 

Thanks for the explicit directions on a non-intuitive process!

Suggested posts