Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to reinstall spotify on ipod touch 3rd generation

How to reinstall spotify on ipod touch 3rd generation

Plan

Premium

Device

(iPod touch, 3rd generation)

Operating System

(iOS)

My Question or Issue

Hi,

I was using Spotify up until last month (i.e. February 2021) on my iPod Touch 3rd Generation. I could play all the music without any problem. However, suddenly a few weeks back the app did not open. Therefore I deleted it and now I cannot reinstall it as I get a message saying the app is not compatible with my device anymore.

Could you kindly help rectify this problem?

I would be very disappointed if I am unable to install Spotify on my iPod touch anymore due to compatibility issues. I understand that it is an older device, but Spotify should provide older versions of the app to work on older devices.

5 Replies

Hey @senura777, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Currently, in order to use Spotify with iOS, you'll need an iOS device running iOS 12 or later. There's some more information on the system requirements here

Your iPod Touch 3rd generation currently has the latest iOS version running iOS 5.1.1. Unfortunately, that device isn't capable to use the Spotify app. If this is something you'd like to see change, you can create a new Idea about this here, and I thank you for your feedback.

I'll be here if you need anything else!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

THANKS @ Billy-J for the prompt response.

Did this system requirement change happen recently?

Because I was able to play Spotify on your mentioned iOS 5.1.1 up until February 2021.

I really wish if you support Spotify for older devices like the iPod etc.

Hey @senura777

Spotify sometimes changes its system requirements as time goes on, but the system requirements you see on that page haven't been changed in a little while. The reason you were able to listen to music in the Spotify app until February 2021 was likely because you had it installed when Spotify discontinued support on that device. Since you uninstalled the app, you no longer had access to it since Spotify doesn't support that device anymore. 

I hope this makes more sense. I'll be here if you have any more questions! 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It is very unfair to discontinue support for older products (Like iPod touch, Generation 1, 2 and 3 etc.). Spotify must make sure they support such products. I use a really good 'Bose' dock which is more than 10 years old and works great. However since Spotify doesn't support previous iOS editions, I am unable to use this dock to its full potential.

I really hope Spotify could still allow App store support to older generation devices !!

I agree with those other people who are frustrated.  I know we've got ancient devices but mine still works just fine, except for companies making it go obsolete.  Netflix has a work around where we can delete the current app we have, redownload the app and just get the last version that was compatible w/ our device.  Does it work perfectly and let us do everything current Netflix does?  No.. but can I set up a show for my bird to watch while I'm gone, yup!  I'd just like to be able to do the same for my spotify account.  

Suggested posts