Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

In Your Music, sort order of albums and artists beginning with "The" is bugged

Solved!

In Your Music, sort order of albums and artists beginning with "The" is bugged

In iOS app, using Your Music, the albums or artists (both are sorted by artists) beginning with the word "The" are sorted in wrong order. I believe the idea has been that the word "The" is ignored when sorting, but the implementation is bugged, as it does that sorting only inside the letter "T". E.g. the sort order looks like this (I took an excerpt from my actual artists):

Sigur Rós

Sting

The Rolling Stones

Tenebrae

The Who

U2

I.e. The Rolling Stones is moved before Tenebrae, as it sees to be sorted as "Rolling Stones", but is not moved to its correct place to the letter R, but only to the beginning of letter T. The Who is after Tenebrae, as "Who" comes after it, but is not moved to its correct place to the letter W, but only to the end of the letter T. What would I expect to see would be:

The Rolling Stones

Sigur Rós

Sting

Tenebrae

U2

The Who

So the main culprit is that the sorting without the word "The" is done only after grouping the names to their letter groups (which is used for forming the "navigate by letter" function, I believe).

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This seems to be fixed finally. At least on the version 5.7.0 I have now on the phone.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

This has been driving me crazy since June of last year. I don't know whether to give up hope that they've even noticed.

Hey @synchronos, are you able to possibly try removing Rolling Stones from Your Music and re-add it again to see if that helps? Are you able to provide screenshots showing us what's going on exactly?

Cheers!

First of all, if you are trying to find a user solution to this problem, you are wasting your time. This is a bug in the app. I just hope the Spotify people notice it in here and picks to their bug reporting lists.

Removing and adding an artist or album did not work, as I was 100 % expecting. Sorting algorithm should do its work at least every time any change is done to Your Music; probably it does it even every time the list is shown.

I also believe my explanation contained enough information: the sorting order of the names is wrong in the Albums or Artists list. But here's a couple of screenshots anyway, containing the letter T of the artists list.

20160323_110132000_iOS.png20160323_110137000_iOS.png20160323_110143000_iOS.png

Here are the two threads I've posted about it.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad/Alphabetical-sorting-in-album-view-broken-in-3...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-iOS-iPhone-iPad/Articles-quot-A-quot-quot-The-quot-break-alpha...

I really don't understand how this is still going on. I would be fired if a bug like this went unfixed for nine months in one of my applications.

It seems that somebody even reported that to the support by email, but it seems it has never got to the bug reporting system, after all. It's not a bad bug, but reminds eminds every time of a quality issue, is annoying, and, most importantly, very easy to fix.

I think I've lost hope that they will fix this, every app update I check. It's such an easy thing to fix too... Really hope it gets on their radar soon (or ever) to patch up.

5.3.0 was just released and this is still broken. There's a new interface font though. I'm glad they're putting effort into that instead of fixing long-standing functionality problems.
Marked as solution

This seems to be fixed finally. At least on the version 5.7.0 I have now on the phone.

Suggested posts