Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Laggy animations Iphone 13 pro max (IOS 15)

Solved!

Laggy animations Iphone 13 pro max (IOS 15)

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Operating System

iOS 15

My Question or Issue

The animation for opening and closing the fullscreen player is extremely laggy and unsatisfying. The second I installed spotify on my new phone it had this issue on the older ios version (dont know which one it was but it was a version of iOS 14) but then after upgrading to ios 15 the problem persisted. (see attachment)

I have tried signing out everywhere and only on the phone, didnt work. And it seems like im the only one with this problem but i doubt that because i just got the iphone 13 pro max and it was only avaliable for pre order delivery today so ill see.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@Robsen is correct that this is most likely due to the 120hz screen that the new iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max have.

Using the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max and tapping on the now playing bar to bring up the full now playing screen, the animation on the new 120hz screen is slower than an iPhone 12 or older with a 60hz screen. It's likely the animation doesn't currently take 120hz into account since it should be smoother than the older iPhone models and it's currently slower.

The official name for the new screen technology on the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max is called "ProMotion" which is what they are calling the 120hz refresh rate.

I tested side by side on both an iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone 13 Pro Max and the animation on the iPhone 12 Pro Max is fine, but the iPhone 13 Pro Max does indeed have a slow now playing animation. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I have the same issue and it is most likely caused by the 120hz display. So we only need to wait for an update.

You can easily try the 60Hz version of the animation by activating battery saving mode, since it disables 120Hz.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

We'd like to try some troubleshooting to see how it goes and report this if needed. Could you try logging out, restarting your phones, and logging back in? Additionally, try restarting the app twice in a row so it does a refresh.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

I did the things you mentioned and the issue still persists.
Marked as solution

@Robsen is correct that this is most likely due to the 120hz screen that the new iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max have.

Using the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max and tapping on the now playing bar to bring up the full now playing screen, the animation on the new 120hz screen is slower than an iPhone 12 or older with a 60hz screen. It's likely the animation doesn't currently take 120hz into account since it should be smoother than the older iPhone models and it's currently slower.

The official name for the new screen technology on the iPhone 13 Pro and 13 Pro Max is called "ProMotion" which is what they are calling the 120hz refresh rate.

I tested side by side on both an iPhone 12 Pro Max and an iPhone 13 Pro Max and the animation on the iPhone 12 Pro Max is fine, but the iPhone 13 Pro Max does indeed have a slow now playing animation. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future update.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hey @Jonathanm1690 

This was fixed in an update a few weeks ago. Make sure you are updated to the latest Spotify iOS version to see the improvement. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

I have this problem too. And there is no solution here. 

This is not a solution. I have no idea why it's tagged as solution

Suggested posts