Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files will not sync to iphone

Local files will not sync to iphone

Hello!

OS/X, iPhone 5, Spotify Premium; everthing has been freshly updated, Spotify has been reinstalled multiple times on both devices, same results.

Local files will not sync to the iPhone from OS/X over wifi or over usb. Multiple wifi networks tested, same results.

Desktop Spotify does not have a "devices" list to recognize that the iphone is connected to it any longer.

This does not change over time, desktop spotify cannot see iphone, and my local files are not "magically" appearing anywhere.

The iphone does, however, work with spotify connect. It can control the desktop Spotify from the iphone, but cannot see any local files.

Tried multiple suggestions from the forums, nothing works.

Any other ideas here, or is cancelling premium and using itunes for local file syncing the best option here?

Thanks, cheers!

4 Replies

Hi,

I have had a similar problem with my Android (4.4.4) phone.

Apparently Spotify discontinued to support the upload and streaming of local files!!! I don't understand why, but I'm going to discontinue my premium membership because of this.

Below is the email I got from them:

"Hello,

Thanks for getting back in touch with your feedback and your clarifications on the issue. That was very helpful for us!

Our latest Spotify Version doesn't support the upload and streaming of local files. 😞 This was a feature in one of our previous Spotify Versions. 🙂

Still, this sounds like a great idea: to get back this feature! Please feel free to share it on our ideas board on our Community Site.

You can get other users to show their support by voting on the idea. We’ll keep everyone updated on its status. Maybe your idea could even make it into the app some day!

Do not hesitate to get back to us if anything else comes up in the meantime. We will always do our best to help you.

Have an amazing day,

Spotify Customer Support"

Here is my response:

"

Hi,

this is a very bad management decision!

Spotify is a great App, but it doesn’t provide access to all the music in the world and so people like me would like to add to their Spotify selection their own music. The fact that people are paying for a service like Spotify premium should tell you that people honor and appreciate good features and convenience.

I don’t understand why Spotify would take back such an important feature. Updates are supposed to improve a product, not make it worse!

Without this feature Spotify is just another music streaming platform like countless others and I don’t see the benefit any more.

Therefore I will discontinue my premium membership as of the end of this month.

Please contact me if this feature of uploading and streaming of local files is enabled again.

Thanks"

That doesn't really make any sense, perhaps you may like to contact them again, and I will also see what can be found out.

If local/offline file syncing was discontinnued, then they would have removed the functionality and features from the app, and all of the documentation would be updated to reflect this (it all still says it can be done). Let's make it work again!

Looks like they're working on fixing the problem for a future update!

Here's a reply from a customer service agent::

"Thanks for getting in touch with the team.

We’re working on improving the way local files are synced to mobile devices from the desktop app. The option should return soon. We know this can be frustrating, but we're almost done with this and the option will be back with the next version.

However, if you want to Sync from your desktop to your phone, for Spotify to play some of your local files, you may need to install an audio codec. This allows .mp3 files to be played on your computer. You can download one for free here.

If your tracks were downloaded from iTunes, they may be protected. Installing QuickTime should help with this. If you're still having problems, check your files are supported by Spotify.

Thanks for your patience, we'll love to keep you on the Premium road with us, if you have any questions please drop us a line, we'll be an email away.

Cheers!

Sharon

Spotify Customer Support"

Hope this update comes sooner than later.

Why would you have this function, discontinued it in the next version just to bring it back in another version???

Suggested posts