Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Major issue in iOS 7 beta 3...

Solved!

Major issue in iOS 7 beta 3...

Anytime volume is adjusted in beta 3, the app crashes immediately. Works fine up until then.

Added note by MattSuda: 

Also -- the ability to re-arrange tracks (added in version 0.7.1) is not working in IOS 7 beta 3. When in "edit mode" the playlist view is bugged.

143 Replies

Correct!

I just don't understand why Spotify neglects to mention this. It's a darn annoying bug, but I know that this is a beta, there will always be bugs! Just acknowledge so people can get some peace!

- Allan

@Brian_M wrote:
I'm sorry - but I had to register on the forums to address the ridiculous sense of self-entitlement that this thread contains.

iOS 7 is a developer preview - for use on **dedicated development devices** so that you can test, and here's the killer, YOUR OWN APPS. It's not for you to install on your normal devices and then whine to developers that you want their software fixed. Don't like that you can't use spotify in iOS 7? Tough. Go back to using iOS 6 and stop using iOS 7 in ways that the development agreement you signed with apple doesn't allow.

Going by the way you're talking, I guess none of you moaning are actually developers - just users who want to use the latest stuff. If you were developers you'd understand this - there's NO point fixing bugs in beta 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. If a bug is present in the GM it should be fixed - but with the amount of stuff that changes between betas - if you start fixing every little issue you're going to a) be chasing your own tail and b) introduce more bugs which may be present in later versions.

If spotify fixed this bug, and then apple fixed te API, spotifys fix may break the new API, so it'd need to be fixed again. Get the picture?

Plus - even if they wanted to fix it - you can't submit iOS 7 apps until the GM drops (again - if you were developers you'd know this).

Installing beta software on your daily phone is stupid. Do so at your own risk, but don't go bitching to developers when stuff don't work.

Sent from my mobile - please excuse any typos.

I have to agree with that one. Even if bugs were fixed for one beta, within 2 weeks the next beta would be out, and there would probably be another bug with Spotify.

Of course though, when iOS 7 is officially released, all the bugs will be fixed and it will probably be optimised for iOS 7 as well (as there is a slightly modified format) 🙂

Anthony

This post was by Taylor - I do not work for Spotify!
If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution! If you like my post - Please add Kudos!
||  Spotify Profile - Taylor   |  Feel free to PM me - Here  ||

Just to say that Hipstamatic had problems with iOS 7 beta 3 too, and it was fixed in their last update.

Some companies take care of their users, some don't. And that's more questionnable when you pay for the service ...

And they know a lot of people use iOS7 even if it is a beta.

This is a BETA OPERATING SYSTEM, i am annoyed by it as well, but it isn't a 'huge problem".  An app you use on an operating system not made for the general public and for testing only doesn't work, either get over it, or reinstall ios6.

It is a problem with how the new operating system handles spotify using the apple volume controls.

Everyone seems to be getting very worked up on both sides here. 

The issue has been raised, because it's a bug which could do with being fixed before iOS7 goes public. This is by definition why developer OS are sent out. 

Most of us were just raising the issue and discussing workarounds. Most of us aren't threatening to cancel our subscriptions. This stuff happens. This thread should have been left to people who wanted to discuss potential workarounds, instead of becoming a slagging match.

Edit: Accidentally a word or three.

I don't care it's a beta version. Not only developers use it, there is a lot of people that uses it and Spotify knows it. An issue that makes the app crash when you turn up or down the volume is RIDICULOUS... Come on, just an update, not so difficult !!

Fixed for me in 0.7.2.

Can everyone stop moaning now?

@biox wrote:
Fixed for me in 0.7.2.

Can everyone stop moaning now?

Just to confirm for everyone -- the newest update has a fix for the volume change crashing issue.

If anyone notices any new iOS7 related issues, feel free to create a new thread describing it. We can keep an eye on things there.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Woohoo! No need to cancel your subscriptions, the latest update of the spotify app (0.7.2.26) fixed the issue! (At least for me).

Thank you Spotify devs =]

@Thebigd wrote:

This is a BETA OPERATING SYSTEM, i am annoyed by it as well, but it isn't a 'huge problem".  An app you use on an operating system not made for the general public and for testing only doesn't work, either get over it, or reinstall ios6.

It is a problem with how the new operating system handles spotify using the apple volume controls.

Isn't a huge problem? Are you joking? Ok lets set up a hypothetical.

First off, you're right, this is a beta OS, not intended for the general public, no one is arguing there. Now seeing as the only way to get this is to either pay $99 to become part of the developer program or having some technical knowledge to get it in other means, most people installing it understand that it is beta.

Second, leets say there are maybe 1000 people using Spotify on iOS 7 beta. Not a big deal right? Normally you would be right, but lets think for a second. iOS 7 is set to launch sometime in September, and best case scenario that gives Spotify two months to fix the issue before iOS 7 goes retail. Seems like a long time, but then there is my next point.

This isn't some deep dug in glitch that you have to fly to the moon and back while singing the National Anthem and then hope you get it. This is a glitch that breaks the core funtionality of the app. This doesn't effect 1/1000 people, this effects every single user of the app. Now, lets say Spotify ignores it like so many of you say they should, until iOS 7 retail hits. What effected only 1000 people in beta, now effects all Spotify users on iOS. Assuming Apple devices hold about half the market, that would mean 15 MILLION Spotify users will now be unable to use the App at all. This small thread that has maybe 100-200 people, will literally explode. People will be outraged, and rightly so.

Now, based on  Spotify's most recent data, about 20% of their overall userbase are premium users. So 20% of 15 million comes out to 3 million users. Now at 10/month, for just a single month this could potentially cause a loss of up to 30 million dollars. Now this is a worst case scenario of course, but this is potential loss that they have to consider when deciding if an error is important.

Long story short, to all you saying "Oh its beta os, Spotify shouldn't support it" and "Its beta, its not meant for everybody". I now hope you understand what kind of impact this "unimportant" glitch will have on Spotify if they don't spend the time Apple has given them to fix it before iOS 7 goes retail.

EDIT: Of course now it doesn't even matter because its fixed 😛

This crash only takes place if you are listening to music inside a playlist... which unfortunatly is where i spend most of my time listening to music. Must crash spotify a good 20 times a day. It's so frustrating

Spotify Update just popped up.

Fixed the volume bug for me. (iOS 7 Beta 4, iPhone 4S). 🙂

awh thats so great! good old spotify - changing the volume feels like such a luxuary now

This has all been sorted on iOS 7 beta 4! I just got it downloaded so change your spotify awayb 😄

Spotify has just released an update (0.7.2) today and the issue is fixed on iOS7. Thank you so much Spotify.

This issue has now been resolved for me updated both spotify and iOS so don't know if the bug was with spotify or iOS

SOLUTION ----READ!!!!!

Hi everyone. Today my spotify trial ended, and there was a problem with me making a payment, so spotify "un-synced" all my tracks that i had for offline use. A few hours later i paid and it started syncing my tracks again. And after everything was resynced, the volume changing worked perfectly. Try it out!

Sorry ignore that^^^ i hadnt realized that spotify updated since i have auto updates on. Just glad this is over

Should be good when everything breaks again in Beta 5 😄 . But well done Spotify for supporting beta software!

Suggested posts