Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Music keeps stopping on my iPhone

Music keeps stopping on my iPhone

My music keeps stopping. Not pausing or a break in signal but it just stops and the only way to make it start again is to touch the cursor on the time elapsed bar at the bottom of the screen. I've tried everything I can think of. Anyone have any suggestions?
40 Replies

Still having problems. 😞

Greycoral - Does restarting the device not work for you?
Airhorn Enthusiast

I am having the same problems.  I am using an iPhone 4 on Verizon Wireless with iOS 6.  I followed all of the troubleshooting steps given including deleting coockies and files in Safari, deleting the app, restarting, downloading the app again, changing the quality settings, and nothing works.  This is the only streaming app I have any kind of trouble with and my 3G connection is fine.  I just subscribed to Spotify today and I am incrediby unhappy and disappointed with the quality of the app/service.

No, a restart does not help for anything long term. I double click the home button, and delete all the recently opened programs. I restart the phone and then start up Spotify. I've been getting a couple hours of play time before it starts cutting out every 30 seconds or so. I'll restart again. Sometimes that helps me get a couple more hours, sometimes it doesn't. Iphone 4S/Verizon/ios 5.1.1. 

None of the other streaming apps on my phone have this problem. Whenever spotify cuts out, I usually switch over to Pandora or other streaming podcasts with absolutely zero interuption. It's only Spotify.

It is really strange because I was able to play a full album this morning with no issues.  I changed albums and within the first ten seconds of the second album, the problem started again.

Also, I don't know if this will help in resolving the issue, but I noticed that when it stops, it still "thinks" it is playing as you can pause it and when it resumes playing, the fastforward icon flashes.

I really don't think this is any type of network or connectivity issue as I am having it even when playing a song from a playlist that I have made available offline.

This keeps happening to me, too. Restarting does not fix the issue - it plays a few songs and then starts up with the pausing again. 

Any other things to try? Is there a fix coming soon? 

hi all i had been having the same issue for the past week but i think that the following fixed it because i have been running all moring without random stopping ...   turn off all push notiifcations and gapless playback (spotify app -> more -> setting) , maybe that was what got it working ??

original thread

Darn it, I tried all of the above, but it is still happening. 

I did the following: edited settings to turn off ALL push notifications, edited settings to stop gapless playback. Then I turned the phone off and back on again. 

Next, I tried listening to music. The second song on the playlist stopped three times. 

I'm connected via wifi. 

Speedtest.net says my phone has 12.57 mbps download speed and 38.39 mbps upload.

Same here.  I even did a reset of my phone's network settings to no avail.

Any news? This is still happening, despite following the suggestions in this thread.... 

Thank you. 

hi guys ... i have no idea how i got it working now because i know that i had the same problem for a week and now its gone.  the only thing that i had done as well, at the time was ... delete the app and reboot the phone ... dont do anything with regards to the spotify app overnight ... the next morning re-install the app and hopefully it will be working ;? Good Luck ;O)

I totally agree with Toastno6. There is nothing more infuriating than listening to Spotify Premium and the songs stop and start randomly. I am sick of doing a forced shutoff of my Iphone just to make it work again. Spotify, please fix this or I will be forced to cancel my account and go back to Pandora.

Have you tried resetting your iphone? It seems to work for some people. Try the steps detailed here to do the reset. (Sorry for the off-site linkbut it saves a load of typing).

Yes, I have done that gazillions of times. I thought it was my iPhone at first but actually just downloaded Pandora One and have not had any skips, stops or disruption of music at all.

it has nothing to do with Spotify specifically. I use iTunes only and my iPhone4S is doing the same thing. It also doesn't matter whther or not I have headphones or bluetooth device hooked up. And yes, as a musician especially, i'd like to smash my phone with a hammer when it sputters and pauses its way through a song! Ridiculous! As much as I paid for the "king of phones" I shouldn't be having ANY problems with this POS

its not spotify, it's Iphone!! I don't use spotify, I use Itunes and it does the same thing

iPhone in a bag of rice works wonders 🙂
Leave iPhone or iPod in a ziplock bag of rice from 30 minutes to overnight.
Moisture gets in my phone all the time and I can't even take off my iPhone case because the back of the iPhone is completely shattered. This method works for me when my iPhone keeps stopping music from playing (whether with speakers or headphones). I hope this helps you!

Add me to the list. It was just until 4 days ago. I use to listen to Pandora until I found out about Spotify. Now I'm starting to hate it because of the issue that I have had in the past 4 days

I'm having the same issues and have been for several months.  I've tried EVERYTHING including upgrading from iphone 5 to iphone 6.... here's a list of what I've tried

uninstalled and reinstalled spotify app - didn't work

checked settings to see if quality was on normal - it was, didn't work

confirmed that spotify was on most recent release in app store - didn't work

closed all other apps - didn't work

tried on LTE connection - didn't work

tried on WIFI - didn't work

checked WIFI connection with speedtest, 20+ MB download, 5MB Upload EVERY time - not an issue, didn't work

TRIED A DIFFERENT WIFI NETWORK, RAN A SPEED TEST - DID NOT WORK

tried resetting all network settings on iOS- didn't work

made sure iOS had latest update - didn't work

changed passwords to ensure that my account wasn't being used by someone else (even though Spotify DOES alert you if someone else is using your account)  - DIDN'T WORK!

TRIED RESTARTING IPHONE - DIDN'T WORK

TRIED RESETTING IPHONE AND RESTORING FROM ICLOUD - DID NOT WORK

TRIED RESETTING iphone and starting from SCRATCH (no backup restored) - Guess what?  DID NOT WORK!  SURPRISED?!?  

Upgraded from iphone 5 to iphone 6 - Nope didn't work, same garbage

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I'm seeing a number of other users online having the same issues.  Frankly, the spotify admins seem to be slow to respond and ask repeat questions of what users are already stating they have tried.  So, pretty much worthless.

I'm about ready to call it quits with Spotify.  I've been a Premium user for 2 years or so and I'm sick and tired of this garbage. I'm already a prime customer on amazon and am researching other services as well and preparing myself mentally for the switch....lots of playlists to reconstruct, etc. but its looking like it's worth it at this point.  I understand that $9.99 USD per month isn't a huge amount of money but I still expect the service to ACTUALLY WORK.  I work in IT and I understand latency, bandwidth and other environmental factors can play into the quality of experience but when I've tried this many things and Spotify is NO HELP WHATSOEVER I'm not going to keep handing you my money month over month.  Step up Spotify.  This is obviously an application issue.  At least acknowledge it's a problem and DO SOMETHING.

I'm with you 100 percent
Does anyone have an answer to this problem?

Suggested posts