Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No volume control on Spotify connect

No volume control on Spotify connect

Hi, 

Am using Spotify connect from my iphone  to control an Ipad that is connected to speakers. 

Both ios devices use ios 7.0.3 and the same version of spotify which is 0.9.0

Firstly, in my view it is quite annoying that the ipad has to have auto lock disabled and thus be on and burn battery constantly to be able to control via spotify connect. 

More importantly, i am not able to control volume on the ipad from my iphone - its like its greyed out. 

Anyone else have this problem ? 

34 Replies

Hello amdrescher, I have the same problem. Have you find the way to fix it? I hope you can help me... Thanks

Not sure why this isn't possible, but I do wonder is it down to a technical limitation.

You can adjust the volume of a Connect enabled speaker directly from the application.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi
Same Problem here!
After Connection there is no Volume solider visble
Any ideas why not?
Thanks

What device are you controlling? Its not possible to control the volume of another iOS or android device using Spotify Connect I'm afraid.

Peter

Dear Peter,

yes thats the problem - have an Ipone connected on headphone to speaker and control it from an ipad.

Would be great if this feature comes up in a later version of Spotify connect.

Is there any hope to get this implemented?

Thank you!

Best Regards

Peter

I do wonder if it is possible. With iOS security and restrictions, I do wonder to myself if you would be allowed to change the device volume remotely.

Peter

For my understanding the both spotify apps communicate with each other and maybe it is possible to control the volume

of the connected spotify app? 

Thank you in advance for further investigation.

Best Regards

Peter 

I don't work for Spotify, so in reality I don't know. But on iOS at least it appears Spotify doesn't have its own built in volume control, but it uses the OS level volume control which might not be possible to change remotely.

Peter

Spotify on Android has exactly the same issues as you're having on iOS and I very much doubt that there are any technical reason for the issues to exist on Android.Maybe I'm a little cynical but ... although Spotify themselves suggest that they are a non-profit organisation I suspect that these limitations exist in order to drive up sales of Spotify connect approved hardware.

What's annoying is that Spotify's support page for iPhone and iPad clearly states "You can now control Spotify like normal, even though playback is on another device. Search for and play your tracks, change the volume, add to playlists – anything you want!"

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/guides/#!/article/Spotify-Connect

It was just rolled it in the latest update which you can control the volume.. Should work all well now!
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Hi there,

I use Android devices. Tablet which is always connected to Audio Doc Station by Bluetooth. So when I came back to home I just wanna start to play my music. And I can't do that via my phone. Do you know why? Because:

1. I must come to the tablet which charges on the Doc Station. Unlock it and open Spotify. Only AFTER THAT I am able to see my tablet on the my phone in the Spotify app.

2. When I want to decrease or increase the volume I am forced to go to my tablet again.

I don't want I don't want to use 10 different apps for just listening music. I think that I'm paying enough to get those updates as soon as possible. Or as soon as I will decide to move to Google Play Music if it will has that feature

Regards,
Serhii

Screenshot (Nov 9, 2014 9:28:44 PM).png

Hey guys,

If you'd like to see this added, please add your Kudos over here.

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

I can confirm that I can use my iPhone and iPad to control the volume of my Yamaha Reciever and the volume of my Laptop (only while using the latest BETA version of the Spotify Desktop program on OSX). However, I CANNOT control the volume of my iPad or iPhone from EITHER of the other two devices. For clarity:

REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL TESTED AND WORKING:

OK: iPad -> Yamaha Receiver

OK: iPhone -> Yamaha Receiver

OK: iPad -> Laptop (OSX Beta)

OK: iPhone -> Laptop (OSX Beta)

REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL TESTED AND NOT WORKING:

NO: iPad -> iPhone

NO: Laptop -> iPhone 

NO: iPhone -> iPad

NO: iPad -> iPhone

REMOTE VOLUME CONTROL UNTESTED:

??: Laptop -> Yamaha Reciever

IOS: 8.0.2

Spotify iPhone: 1.8.1.8

Spotify iPad: 1.8.1.8

OSX 10.9.5

Spotify Desktop: 1.0.0.588.g5dffdc66 (BETA)

The question is, will Apple/iOS allow the volume of a device to be changed remotely?

Peter

It's possible for another app to control the volume in iOS.  We do it all the time in our app.

I have the same issue, volume control doesn't exists for my android device on my iphone 6
Any progress or solution?

Same here. I'd like to control the volume on iPhone from my iPad.

Same. Would be really sweet to be able to adjust the volume remotely via Spotify Connect.

Suggested posts