Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

PC to iPhone Sync Without Downloading - Possible?

PC to iPhone Sync Without Downloading - Possible?

As everyone is aware, the Spotify iPhone app doesn't allow users to clear its cache (please give kudos to this request!!!).  Currently, the only way to accomplish this is to remove and reinstall the app.  Doing this will clear out the cache; however, it will also wipe all offline playlists and users will be forced to resync.

If playlists have been synced for offline play in the desktop app, can they then be synced to an iPhone without redownloading them from Spotify's servers?  In other words, does syncing an offline playlist that has already been downloaded to a PC to an iPhone take up any data?  I'll test this myself as soon as I get the chance, unless someone can answer this for me.

I've moved to Australia from California and most broadband internet providers here have data caps (a harsh reality I've had to accept).  I'd like to avoid chewing up my broadband data if I decide to clear Spotify's cache.  If I can download all of my playlists to Spotify Desktop on my PC one time and sync them to my iPhone without redownloading them from Spotify's servers, that would be an OK solution.  I've made an effort to locate a definitive answer to this question but haven't been able to find one.

Again, it would be ideal if Spotify would implement a Clear Cache button that clears the cache without removing offline playlists.

I previously only used Spotify for streaming and readily admit that I'm new to syncing, so if this is common knowledge I apologize for my ignorance.  Any info about this subject will be appreciated.

3 Replies

Hiya. The offline music are all stored in the cache and I'm not sure this will ever change so clearing the cache (even if there was a button as on android) will also delete all downloaded music.

The question about offline playlists is really interesting. It has come up once before but I can't find the thread now. I don't think any real conclusion was reached but something tells me that downloads to mobile will always come from the spotify servers.

This can be tested pretty easily, if you want to give it a go - clear the iphone cache and make one of your playlists available offline on your PC. Disconnect the internet then try to make the playlist available offline on your iphone.

@jwylot wrote:

Hiya. The offline music are all stored in the cache and I'm not sure this will ever change so clearing the cache (even if there was a button as on android) will also delete all downloaded music.

Yeah, I realize that.  I don't know what else to say other than it's a seriously flawed system for managing downloaded (both streamed and synced) content.  I wish Spotify would dedicate resources to finding a user-friendly solution to this.  Same goes for the play queue!  Roll it out!  /rant

jwylot wrote:

This can be tested pretty easily, if you want to give it a go - clear the iphone cache and make one of your playlists available offline on your PC. Disconnect the internet then try to make the playlist available offline on your iphone.

Really great idea.  Thanks for that.  I have a feeling you're gonna be right about downloading from the server, but I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Cool. Please let me know the answer so I'll know the next time someone asks 🙂

Suggested posts