Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium Account with offline files stating "only local files sync"

Solved!

Premium Account with offline files stating "only local files sync"

I recently upgraded to a Premium account, my intentionswas to sync music to my iPod nano from my iMac (10.8.3)

So the steps (after upgrading) I took were as follows;

1) I then checked the "Playback - High Quality Streaming" (in preferences)

2) Created a Playlist and copied about 99 songs into that Playlist.

3) Then clicked the available offline (Oh I checked in the source destination and local files were created)

4) Then restored my Nano (via iTunes)

5) Then started Spotify app went to sync the music by clicking the Playlist (created in step #2)

6) The sync told me it had only copied 2 of the songs across

7) Researched in the community and found a topic about Premium not working correctly so followed the steps for a clean installation

😎 Deleted the 2 ~library directories

9) Removed the Spotify App

10) Downloaded the latest and reinstalled

11) Followed the steps from #2-5 again but with a different Playlist name and only 20 songs

12) Only 2 songs have copied across but again I can see the local files created

How do I resolve this?

Regards,

Leeties

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Unfortunately that is correct behaviour, it is only possible to sync local files which you own to an iPod nano using Spotify, not any content from the Spotify catalogue or offline playlists you have created. 

The main reason for this is there is no supported application for the iPod Nano. An old community manager wrote a summary of why this restriction sadly exists in this topic

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@mcdowell_k wrote:

This makes total sense to me, with one exception.  Why can I only sync songs I own (when connected to my iMac) but I can download and sync Spotify tracks (that I dont own) directly to using my handheld device by clicking "make available offline"?

Is your handheld an iPod Touch, iPhone or android device? (or any other platform which has a supported Spotify application). 

Those devices are able to store offline content since they can connect to the internet and have a supported Spotify application which can download and decode the stored tracks, as well as keeping track of play counts and usage so artists can be fairly compensated. 

Peter

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Unfortunately that is correct behaviour, it is only possible to sync local files which you own to an iPod nano using Spotify, not any content from the Spotify catalogue or offline playlists you have created. 

The main reason for this is there is no supported application for the iPod Nano. An old community manager wrote a summary of why this restriction sadly exists in this topic

Peter

Peter

This makes total sense to me, with one exception.  Why can I only sync songs I own (when connected to my iMac) but I can download and sync Spotify tracks (that I dont own) directly to using my handheld device by clicking "make available offline"?

Marked as solution

@mcdowell_k wrote:

Is your handheld an iPod Touch, iPhone or android device? (or any other platform which has a supported Spotify application). 

Those devices are able to store offline content since they can connect to the internet and have a supported Spotify application which can download and decode the stored tracks, as well as keeping track of play counts and usage so artists can be fairly compensated. 

Peter

Peter

Ok, I believe this has answered my question (not the answer I was looking for but an answer is an answer).

My device is an iPod Nano so no live internet connection.

Thanks for the replies.

Leeties

Suggested posts