Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Problem with local file sync to iPhone

Solved!

Problem with local file sync to iPhone

I have some songs on my iTunes player that aren't on Spotify -- mostly songs by friends of mine that they've sent me. I can play them on my Spotify desktop (on a Mac) through the Local Files tab, and have added them to a playlist I want to play for some friends at my poker game this week. But when I tried to sync the playlist to my iPhone (which is what I'll use at the poker game), the non-Spotify songs show up on the iPhone playlist (in light gray lettering) but aren't palyable. When I tap them, I get a Spotify page that tells me I can synch them to my iPhone if a) I connect my iPhone to the same wireless network as my computer, b) I launch Spotify on the computer, c) I mark this playlist for Offline Sync on my iPhone. I did a & b, but can't quite figure out how to do c. Help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

When you have your phone and your computer on the same network, open the Spotify software on your phone and computer.  You should see your phone appear under "Devices" on the left side of your computer screen.  If you click on your phone here, there is an option to "sync this device with spotify" or something to that effect.  This will connect your phone w/ the Spotify software on your computer.  Then, to sync a playlist you can either click on it from this screen, or from your phone when viewing a playlist change "Available offline" to yes.  This will sync the playlist (and the local files) to your phone.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

When you have your phone and your computer on the same network, open the Spotify software on your phone and computer.  You should see your phone appear under "Devices" on the left side of your computer screen.  If you click on your phone here, there is an option to "sync this device with spotify" or something to that effect.  This will connect your phone w/ the Spotify software on your computer.  Then, to sync a playlist you can either click on it from this screen, or from your phone when viewing a playlist change "Available offline" to yes.  This will sync the playlist (and the local files) to your phone.

Hope this helps.

That did it, thanks!

I'm having a similar problem. My iphone and desktop display completely different playlists. They both seem to be logged in under the same account, but the long list of playlists that I have on my iphone doesn't show up on my desktop Spotify client.

How can I change this?

Sounds like you have multiple accounts.  I think some people have accidentally created a second account through the Facebook sign in somehow.  I think your best bet would be to contact Spotify through the contact form and maybe they could get it sorted for you.

Wow, this setup is quite a shame. The tower that I run my music off of is not connected to a wireless network, so it appears there's no way to get them on my phone.

I've been a happy paid user of Spotify for a few months now, but starting to get frustrated with the songs that I'm unable to play.... This could be a dealbreaker for me.

I think someone has mentioned before that it will still work if your computer is hooked to the network via a cable, it just has to be connected to the same network that the phone is connected to wirelessly.  I can't try it to confirm though, as everything I have is wireless.

Thanks for the tip. I'm working in an office where someone else manages the network. Gave that a shot but it doesn't work.

Frustrating, because if I was on an ipod I would be able to do this (why would they allow tethered transfer for ipods and not for iphones?)

Did you get this sorted? I am the same my PC is connected to a network and the Iphone is on WIFI. Ive connected to the USB cable, but its not recognising the Iphone on Spotify. I buy tunes which are not on Spotify and its so fustrating that I cannot play them on my portible devices. 

Suggested posts