Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Screen now dims and shuts off when connected to a charger

Screen now dims and shuts off when connected to a charger

Plan: Premium (subscriber since 2013)

Device: iPhone XS Max

Operating System: iOS 12.3.1

The screen now dims and then shuts off when connected to a charger. 

I use Spotify in my car and have the phone connected to a wireless charger. 

For the past several years, the screen would stay on as long as you had the Spotify app open.  Now the screen dims and shuts off after about a minute.  

This is extremely aggravating, this is something I use every day and one of the features that made the Spotify app better for me than the other apps out there. 

It's easier to skip tracks, change playlists without the extra step unlocking the phone each time.  

Can this feature be added back?

15 Replies

iPhone XR with iOS 12.3.1

I have the same UseCase and the new behaviour is heavily annoying, unlocking with face id ... while driving ... so please ... bring the old behavior back!

I'm astonished. Since yesterday evening the problem is gone ...

What did i do since my last post ...

- Reinstalled Spotify and rebooted the phone, but in a test right after, the problem existed already.

- Charged the Phone up to 100%

- Updated some other apps (TripAdvisor, WhatsApp, GeoCaching,Signal and eBay Kleinanzeigen)

I'm happy abut the fact, but worriyng about the reason  🙂 / 😞

All my apps are updated and I have the latest version of Spotify installed.  Unfortunately it’s still not working.  I uninstalled Spotify and reinstalled it yesterday and that didn’t work either.

Same case, all application are updated and i have the last version of IOS (Iphone 5 se)

... and now, I'm not happy anymore 😞

Since yesterday evening, the Phone dims aggain. I have absolutely no clue why ...

The only reason I keep my phone on the power cord in the car is because it would prevent the phone from locking and I'd be able to shuffle through songs without having to look if I wanted to. I have an older car so I have an aux cord and don't have fancy buttons on the steering wheel to control aux devices (just radio stations, volume, and CD tracks).

I'm on an iPhone Xr with iOS 12.3.1 installed and version 8.5.15.681 of the Spotify app.

Well, new update today and no resolution to the screen problem.  I updated the Spotify app, shut down the phone and powered it back up.  Connected the phone to a charger and opened the Spotify app.  Unfortunately, the behavior is the same where the display shuts off after about a minute.   

Same issue for me, it’s really annoying!

I hope they bring back this feature...

iPhone X iOS 12.4

Hi, I found a workaround which works well for me:

The phone is mounted a way that it is faced towards my head in an angle to recognice my face. Then, in Settings / Face ID I disabled the 'Require Attention for Face ID' setting. As long as the phone has free sight to my face in the right agle, the phone will stay unlocked.

You should be aware, that this can cause some kind of security/privacy issue.

I just set my Auto-lock settings to never.  It's not too bad.  However, if I forget to shut the screen off it could kill the battery and also allow anyone to access your phone.  

Well, that’s another way to go around the problem...

Same issue here too. If it’s on a charger let the app stay open. It’s more of a driving hazard to shut it down and have to re-open. Please Spotify give us the option to leave it open when connected to power. It’s really bringing down my Spotify experience. In a major way. We didn’t ask for this. 

Mine started doing this around the same time as you posted. It's been very annoying. I'd like the screen to stay on when charging in the car. It's much easier to manage my music playback when I don't have to constantly unlock the phone to change playlists or search songs.

I've had the same problem for months now: Older car that doesn't have Apple Car Play. 

The phone is connected to the car stereo via bluetooth and the power is plugged in. Screen dimms and goes black within one or two minutes. 

It's extremely annoying because the Car View option in the Spotify app doesn't change a thing about the issue. 

Spotify: Please change it back to the way it was!

Spotify , please add the no auto -dim when charged function back !!

Suggested posts