Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Severe battery drain IOS 10.1.1

Severe battery drain IOS 10.1.1

Hey guys,

ever since the iOS10 update Spotify kills my battery. 2 hours of Spotify playback (Screen off, mind you) drain my battery by 46%. It is not feasible to use this service at the moment.

My data:

• iPhone 6S
  • iOS 10.1.1
  • Spotify: 6.8.0.3786

Here's a list of things I tried in order to fix the issue (in that order):

• Run in battery safe mode: does not help, maybe a little but not considerably.
  • Re-install Spotify: no effect.
  • Reset the iPhone and restore it from an iCloud backup: no effect.
  • Calibrate the battery twice (draining it to 0%, charging it to 100% in one go, hard reset the phone afterwards): no effect.
  • Reset the iPhone and set it up as a completely new phone (no backup): no effect.

So, this is it. It cost my several hours to do all this and it changed nothing. At the moment, I cannot listen to music without a battery pack attached. It will just kill my battery like crazy and I rely on my phone for work. Might have to switch to Apple Music. It is worse in almost every aspect but I cannot use Spotify in its currents state.

I would be really thankful if you could provide any help.

Best wishes

Franz

IMG_0005.PNG
9 Replies

I've got a new iphone se 1 week ago and ive got the same issues.

My battery losses nearly 50 just by playing spotify 2 hours in backround with a turned off screen! I need realy help to fix this it's just horrible and unbelivable. A friend of mine got the same issues with an iphone 5s using the latest ios and spotify app (date 11-15-2016) currently i looking for an alternative until spotify fix this.

Go into general>privacy>location services>System services and turn on "status bar icon" at the bottom. I've found that it's not the apps that are draining your battery but background services and apps that are constantly updating your location. You can keep an eye on the status bar and whenever there's a solid direction arrow go to settings and turn off what's using it if you think it shouldn't be. I just went turned off the majority of system location services until they get the issue fixed.

Hm this could be possible. I`ll take a look on this services next time i play music.

Also turn off thing like raise to wake, see here for more info. http://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-fix-battery-drain-ios-10-iphone-10-tips-longer-battery-life

Before the changes I would have to charge my phone 2-3 times a day. After the changes I'll still be at 80% by lunchtime.

I've tried the suggestion in the post previously and i'm still encountering a load of background activity from Spotify 6.8.0.3786. 

I've just removed and re-installed the app. Will see if there is any change. 

Keep in mind that, regarding your screenshot, Spotify is consuming a 46% of a total 34% (this is about a 15% for more than 2 hours playing) and not half your battery.

Anyway, it's true that Spotify drains battery like crazy and this is the main reason for me to move to Apple Music. 

Hey, in my thread on this topic, you mentioned that replacing your battery seemed to fix the battery drain. Do you no longer feel like that is the case? 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-causing-severe-battery-drain-on-iPhone-6S-r...

Not related to a specific iPhone version, or iOS. To fix this:

Go to your iOS settings, scroll down and look for Spotify, within the Spotify settings disable: Background Refreh.

It should be fine now.

I have found some tips for how to Improve iOS Battery Life On iPhone

Suggested posts