Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone SE

Operating System

(iOS 13.6.1)

My Question or Issue

When sharing a song on WhatsApp, the cover art no longer shows. Just the link. This is both sharing as a copied link or  clicking WhatsApp in the song share options.

I’ve deleted and reinstall both apps.
Cleared cache in Spotify.

When sharing links from other things, like a news site, a cover image appears in WhatsApp as normal. 

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

19 Replies

I have been having the same issue past 48hours. Thank god im not the only one. Found any fix since then?

I’ve had the same issue for a few weeks starting in August 2020 as well.

Having the same problem, it’s so annoying

any fix?

Updated to iOS 14 - same issue, still there any fix Spotify?

Please send us a fix... It doesn't look nice to send just the link...

Weirdly, I’ve tried posting from Spotify desktop to WhatsApp browser version and it does the same thing. Maybe it’s a WhatsApp issue caching it as a preference?

I tired from WhatsApp desktop too and for me it works, I guess it’s WhatsApp fault tho, telegram works too

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this?

If you do, can you let us know if you've already tried to log out > restart your device > log back in? It's also a good idea to try a clean reinstall of both apps to clear any old files that might be causing issues.

If that doesn't do it for you, we'll need to know your devices' models and OS versions.

Let us know how it goes! We’ll be right here if you still need help.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for coming back to us Elena.

I’m on an iPhone 11 Pro iOS 14.0.1 but it’s been happening for over a month now, possibly 2.

Tried restarting the phone.

Tried logging off of Spotify and logging back in.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling  Spotify.

None of the above worked, uninstalling WhatsApp is not a possibility as I would lose all of my conversations, etc.

I did some digging around and about the same time Spotify’s previews on WhatsApp stopped working Twitter was having a similar issue with WhatsApp and this was Facebook/WhatsApp’s response:

“The links people send on WhatsApp are protected by end-to-end encryption,” a WhatsApp spokesperson told Digital Trends. “We rely on Twitter’s API to display a preview of tweets people want to send. It appears there is currently a technical issue with the preview feature, and we’re hoping Twitter will be able to restore it as soon as possible.”

Thanks!

Can you guys please fix it?! I also reinstalled, deleted and logged again. Nothing happened. I’m using iPhone X (iOS 14.0.1).

Thank you.

Yeah the problem isn’t fixed for me either and I am also on an iPhone XR

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your info with the Community! 

We've reported this to the right team and they're looking into it, however as it's affecting a different service, which we don't directly have influence on, we can't promise when or if there'll be a fix. So make sure you've enabled automatic updates for both Spotify and WhatsApp, as this could be resolved in one of the upcoming updates.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

AlexModerator

Seems to be working again for me. Anyone else?

Fixed for me too! 

Hey there folks,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is up and running properly now.

Sometimes technical issues like this occur and it takes our team a bit of time to resolve them.

Don't hesitate to reach out here again if you have more questions. The Community is happy to help 🙂

Have a great day!

AlexModerator

I ran into the same problem as you on my Whatsapp. I also think this is a problem stemming from my Whatsapp GB APK app

I have same/similar problem as of this week (Feb 2021).  I've been sharing playlists on WhatsApp for a while with no problems but this week, images and description not showing, but only for some playlists/songs, not all. 

steggs-fr_0-1613982339462.png

Details: 

Premium account – France

iPhone XR, iOS 14.4

Spotify v8.6.2.1041

WhatsApp mobile

I have tried:

1. a) deleted spotify cache, deleted spotify app, reinstalled spotify and rebooted phone.  No change, same issue
  2. b) both before and after doing a) I recreated a new playlist with same songs (only 5 of them) - no custom cover art , no description and it seemed to share Ok with the spotify album art.  I then added an image and the problem reappeared (no image shared, no description shared).  Deleted image, problem disappeared.  Added description, problem reappeared

Example screenshot of another playlist that I have shared in exactly the same way (on mobile, share, WhatsApp, select user) in the past – this is the sort of thing I was expecting to see (ie with customer cover art and my description):

steggs-fr_1-1613982339478.png

Note: on the ‘good one’ it doesn’t show my user name or number of songs or likes: the ‘bad’ one seems to replace the description with those things.

I did notice that on an individual song I shared via WhatsApp subsequent to noticing this glitch/bug (and after doing all the cleansing outlined above), it did the same. Screenshot:

steggs-fr_2-1613982339487.png

On some other playlists it seems to share them with no problem. On some playlists that have shared successfully in the past, if I now sharer them again they have problem, ie either no description or no description and image.  

I therefore really can’t tell if it’s a WhatsApp problem or a Spotify problem but something seems broken or getting lost in translation between the two apps and it concerns the description and the image. 

Fix please.

Still having the poblem since couple of months 😞 so annoying, how to fix it?

Hey @skakanka,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

We understand you're not able to see the thumbnail image when sharing songs from Spotify in the WhatsApp messenger app. As we weren't able to replicate this, and for us it seems to work as expected, we'd suggest you to perform a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than the normal one and could resolve any possible cache-related issues.

It makes sense to also check if your WhatsApp messenger needs updating too, if so then please go ahead and run any pending updates there to see if this will make any difference.

If nothing helps, please return with a short video of the situation, as well as with the full details of your device's model (OS version included) and the current version of Spotify, so we can take a better look at the matter. You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Kiril Moderator

Suggested posts