Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Solved!

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Just added some new local files to my starred playlist yesterday, and app was crashing when I tried to sync (about 12 songs?)

Then today the same was happening, reinstalled the app, synced all the spotify tracks fine, then tried to sync the local files (approx 150), it made it until the last 60 before crashing. Since then it syncs a couple at a time, before crashing up until the last ~45, and now it crashes immediately upon opening the app. 

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey guys, we'd like you to try something for us.

1) Go to SettingsLanguage & Region (in iOS 😎

2) Under Region Formats change the Region to something else. eg, change it to UK if you're in the US.

3) Open Spotify.

If you're successful, please let us know. You should be able to change your Region Format back afterwards.

If not, please also let us know. Every report counts!

Thanks.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey guys!

@SpotifyCares on Twitter has suggested a work around that might solve the problem: 

"If Spotify is crashing at startup on iOS 8, try changing your phone's SettingsLanguage & Region to another country, then change back."

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/513045543720079360

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

This fix actually worked! After updating to the new iOS 8 my spotify app ceased to load. It would open to the black screen with green logo and crash about 10 seconds later. Switching the region temporarily to the UK has solved this problem

Marked as solution

Hi guys,

If you are using iOS 8 follow the steps mentioned here:

https://twitter.com/SpotifyCares/status/513045543720079360

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

Marked as solution

I had a similar problem as everybody has been posting. I have an iPhone 5 and just updated to iOS8 and Spotify would not open. What worked for me was to put the phone in airplane mode and then open the app. I then turned off airplane mode and it seemed to work. Not sure if this wil lwork for everybody but it did for me.

Marked as solution

I gave it one more go.  This time I did not utilize the "filter by offline".  I realized that this problem started when I realized that feature existed.  It's a great feature, but sadly it causes the app to crash if you close out of it and go back in.   Please fix this... Although my opinion of Spotify has been greatly damaged.   It's been days since I sent an email to customer service and I have yet to hear back. 

Marked as solution

Hi everyone after trying all of the suggestions and workarounds in this thread I still wasn't able to get the app to fully sync my playlists to my iPhone without it crashing then after that it would sync on startup.  I downgraded to an older version of spotify (0.9.4) and it worked!!!  I now have all of my music synced and so far haven't had any app crashes.  Using an older version isn't ideal but at least now I can listen to my music until spotify comes up with a fix for this new version.

To downgrade to the older version (FYI I have an iPhone 5S, iOS 7.1.2, a macbook pro and iTunes version 11.4):

1) Delete spotify from your iphone and your itunes.  To delete it from itunes go to Apps in your library not under your iphone's tab.  Click on spotify and press delete or right-click spotify and choose delete.  itunes will probably have a pop-up confirming you want to delete it.  It may also ask "Do you want to move the selected app to the Trash or keep it in the Mobile Applications folder?"  MAKE SURE YOU MOVE IT TO THE TRASH!!!  Then empty your trash.

2) Now you need to download an older version of the mobile app.  I'm using version 0.9.4.  You can download it from this site http://www.fileswap.com/dl/EryQ6LjBJM/  (click the slow download for a free download).  You'll then be prompted to save the file.  You want to save it to your "Mobile Applications" folder.  Finder>Music>iTunes>Mobile Applications

3) After you save it to the mobile applications folder, right click on the file "Spotify 0.9.4.ipa" and choose "Open with > iTunes"  It should now appear in your apps library as well as under the apps tab of your iPhone's summary.

4) IMPORTANT: before you sync your iPhone with itunes to get the older version of the app on your iphone make sure you turn off automatic updates on your iphone otherwise spotify will update to the newest version that keeps crashing.  Settings>iTunes & App Store>Automatic Downloads>uncheck Apps and uncheck Updates

5) Now you can sync your iphone with itunes and the older spotify will appear on your iphone.

6) Login to spotify on your iphone and sync away!!

7) LISTEN TO MUSIC USING SPOTIFY ON YOUR IPHONE WITHOUT CRASHES!!!!!!

I hope this helps!!!!

zz.png
zzzz.JPG
Marked as solution

Temporary 'fix'

My app was set to 'offline mode' with 11 playlists which were synced in between crashes. I also had the filter set to 'Available Offline Only'.

I turned my wifi off using control centre.

Connected to 3G.

Opened the app.

Then I reconnected to wifi from the control centre.

Removed the 'Available Offline Only'.

Opened an app and started to sync it.

This is not a permanent fix because you can't open the app while using wifi and it still crashes but less frequently.

iPhone 4s
iOS 8.0 (12A365)
Spotify ver. 1.7.1

Marked as solution

Hey guys!

Version 1.8 of the Spotify iOS app has just been released. Please post back if you are still having problems

Thanks for your patience while the developers worked on an update.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

Hey everyone! The majority of crashing issues were fixed with our latest iOS release (1.8.0).

If you're still having trouble after upgrading to 1.8.0 we want to hear about it. Please post your details (device, OS, and details about the crash) right here: Crashing iOS 8

We're going to lock this thread as we're no longer dealling with 1.7.0's crashing issues. Thanks everyone!

280 Replies

IPhone 5 with latest IOS and latest Spotify crashes all the time. Frankly it's not fit for purpose.

Its surprising, all of sudden Spotify crashes as soon I hit play.  I am on IOS 712 on iphone 5.  Not sure if Spotify is trying to fix it or I need to switch to some other app :).

Was there any worlkarounds  some one has identified to make spotify work?

iPhone 4S (unlocked)

iOS 7.1.2

Spotify 1.6.0

App crashes every single time I try to log in

Spoiler

iphone 4s

IOS 7.1.2

Spotify1.6.0.1746

Not jailbroken

Crashes after one song while syncing to Airplay to appleTV. One song plays, then during playback of second song an audio starts playing saying "thanks for watching now enjoy 30 minutes of ad-free music" and then crashes. This happens regardless if I watch said video or not.   App was working perfectly before I recently updated it. 

iPhone 5 on iOS 7.1.2.

Problem started this afternoon after updating Spotify to 1.7.0. 

App will no longer stay open. Crashes 1 to 5 seconds after opening. Have tried rebooting. Have tried starting app with phone in airplane mode. 

I know I'm going to be asked to reinstall and would just like to point out what a miserable experience that is. 

Thanks,

-Tom

Hi there,
Sad to hear that you are having this issue.
Even tho it's not the most comfortable way to solve this, but 90% of all issues resolve with a reinstallation.

At least you could give it a try

Jordi

Last.fm | Twitter

I'm having the same issue. Is there another way besides reinstallation? I'd really prefer to not have to resync everything. Do you know if there's another update forthcoming to address the crash, or perhaps a rollback option to ver. 1.6.0?

Thanks

I can't start the app at all. Runs through two cycles of the 3-dots and crashes.

App doesn't work anymore

My details:

IPHONE MODEL: 5

IOS 7.1.2

SPOTIFY VERSION: 1.7.0

APPROX CRASH FREQUENCY: There is no way to make the app work, it crashes a couple of seconds after starting.

JAILBROKEN: No

Hello!

Have you tried a soft reset? (Holding power button and home button until you see the apple logo)

Hope this helped 🙂

Don't forget to add your Kudos and mark as a solution if it helped you!

Follow me on Twitter

Whats a Spotify Rock Star?

This happened to me the first time I tried to open the app after the update. Hasn't been a problem since.

Have you guys tried a clean reinstallation of the application?

Give this a shot and let us know if it works. Cheers!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram

Clean reinstall. Crashes every time after a few seconds.
IPhone 5s latest Os.

App crashes 2 seconds after starting.
Iphone model: 5s
iOS 7.0.4
Spotify version: 1.7.0
Jailbroken: yes

I have the same issue after updating Spotify to 1.7.0 on 9/10/14 - The app crashes very soon after startup.

The issue is not resolved after a reset of the phone or after a reinstall of the Spotify application.

Hopefully an update comes soon...

Does this happen as soon as you open Spotify, or does this happen after you do some actions like playing a song?

Last.fm | Twitter

I was experiencing crashes when I opened the app, but then I reinstalled it. Now I'm just experiencing a crash every time I try to sync local tracks to my iPhone. Long story short, this update is extremely glitchy, and I actually can't pinpoint the reason why it's crashing.

Actually now the app is just crashing, period. I though it was because I was syncing tracks, but now it's back to crashing within 5 seconds of launching. I'm done with this app until a fix is released...this is very frustrating.

Hey guys--thanks for letting us know you're having some trouble. 

The best step when troubleshooting is a clean reinstallation. If you're still having issues afte the reinstall, please fill out the template below so we can pass it on to the right team: 

Description

Replace this with a short description of the issue you're experiencing.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I did this

2. Then I did that

3. I also did this

4. then this

5. then this

6. and finally, this

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

What actually happened

This is what happened instead.

My iPad/iPhone model

Eg. iPhone 3G, iPhone 4S, The New iPad, etc.

Device’s Operating System

E.g. 3.1.1, 4.1,5.1.1, 6.0.1, etc.

Is your device jailbroken?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

I.e. fewer than 10 or more than 200

Please also include how many, more or less, of those playlists are synced for offline use

My mobile Spotify version

E.g. 0.8.4.

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

E.g. 0.8.4.

My provider and country

Eg. AT&T, US; or Telia, Sweden

Suggested posts