Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Russia Discover Weekly broken since launch

Spotify Russia Discover Weekly broken since launch

I've been trying Spotify since launch in Russia in July. The suggestions are complete garbage 99% of the time.

I've imported my playlists from iTunes. Even went through and liked songs individually. But ever since launch every Discovery Weekly was horrible. It suggests anything but things I listed to. Seems like 2-3 songs I actually liked in those 14+ weeks were by pure coincidence. And not like I listen to only few specific music genres or artists. On iTunes I discovered hundreds of songs and dozens of new artists across different kinds of music.

I made sure to use "I don't like this song" every time. Sometimes my whole weekly playlists becomes grayed out because of this. But Spotify keeps pushing this garbage onto me. Also lot of songs in Discovery are Polish for some reason. I don't speak polish nor have a single polish song in my saved playlists or liked songs.

Is this normal? Was I stupid to fall for "Superior Spotify discover and recommendation" meme? That's what whole hype was about? We had both Apple Music and Google Music Play since 2014 in Russia and Spotify was always this rumored "be all end all of streaming". But so far it sucks for me no matter how much effort I put into going out of my way and disliking garbage it suggests me. And this is happening for the last 14 weeks. It's utter garbage compared to iTunes and Apple Music recommendations though, to the point that I think algorithms are broken and Spotify doesn't give 2 cents about Russia and releases half-arsed product and that's it.

1 Reply

Hey @Derpcrawler,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the Community!

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure it reaches the right folks at our developer team. Keep in mind that the entries in the Made for you section are based not only on your personal likes, but also on your region and the music libraries of users with similar tastes. That's why it might take a while for the list to get filled with more songs fitting to your tastes. You can help the algorithm by expanding your library with new liked songs and albums or liking additional artists. That would speed up the process.

It seems that other Spotify users also mentioned they'd like to see the option to exclude certain languages from their Discover Weekly and posted an idea. You can add your support there by up-voting the idea. We'll inform on any developments there, if there are any. So make sure to subscribe, if you haven’t already. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts