Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app - free or not really free?

Spotify app - free or not really free?

I've downloaded the Spotify app, logged in, but whan I try to play a song, it says "Spotify Premium is required for on-demand mobile streaming".

BUT - in the description of Spotify in the AppStore, it says "With the Spotify app, you can choose to listen for free, or subscribe to Spotify Premium".

So how do I choose to listen for free? And if it turns out I can't - why does it say I can in the AppStore? Or am I just being fooled  by clever semantics here?

5 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Are you in the US? 

Spotify free accounts can access the mobile radio feature on iOS in the US, everywhere else a premium account is required. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Well, no... No - I'm in Norway. And I'm using the Norwegian AppStore, so maybe you should make this clear in the description?
Or never mind - I'll survive. But perhaps saying we have the choice to listen for free when most of us actually don't, isn't such a good idea?

Because when it says  I can choose to listen for free, it doesn't say that a) you're talking about radio only, or b) US citizens only...

Thanks for answering, though. Appreciate it!

Just looking into this (I don't work for Spotify) does it not say "Free radio: US only" underneath that text you copy and pasted? 

I will admit maybe it is a little vague, but I guess you can try premium for free too (48 hour trial) so maybe that is being bundled into the first statement too!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes, it does say "Free radio: US only" underneath. But I have never been interested in a radio function anyway. I just wanted to listen to my PC playlists on my iPhone, so when it said I could choose to listen for free, radio sort of never crossed my mind.

It's FREE*

*all customers are required to purchase a premium account if they want any actual use of this mobile app.

Suggested posts