Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify lag/stutter when auto-scrolling in a playlist

Spotify lag/stutter when auto-scrolling in a playlist

Well the title is pretty much self-explanatory. I've got a brand new iPhone 6 that should handle Spotify with ease (even the 5S with the A7 should be included here), yet auto-scrolling (tap the upper part of the screen) in a playlist with more than 100-200 tracks will create a stutter/lag-fest 101. You should preferably scroll past 100-150 tracks and then press the auto-scroll to see it. I assume I'm not alone experiencing this, but I'd love to hear if you've noticed it too. It even makes the 4*4 album art dissapear which is above the playlist. A bug I guess?

Spotify is honestly not exactly a smooth experience and the app itself doesn't really feature a lot gaussian blur or flashy animations to even justify that. If anything it seems poorly coded to be honest. 

Auto-scrolling in playlist with 15-20 tracks is fine, since I assume it won't have to "tax" or load as much, but apart from that it runs terrible. 

Ally's
7 Replies

I tried a playlist with 3,000 songs and a playlist with 10,000 songs. Works just fine.

However, the album art at the top does disappear. This is a bug. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Really? You get 60 fps when auto-scrolling? I have a hard time believing that.
Ally's

Well it's not instant. The app takes about a second to scroll all the way to the top.

If you place your eyes on the song list, you can see it's actually scrolling all the way to the top.

Doesn't seem laggy or slow to me.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well I'm not talking about instant, but actually a smooth and fast 60 fps scroll which you would normally get by auto-scrolling in the app store or anything that goes through a long list. 

It is scrolling, but it's choppy/stutters like crazy. Got two other 5S's here and they suffer from it too, so it seems like it's something on Spotifys end. 

Ally's

It's still there. The album art will disappear and the constant stuttering is as evident as it's always been. Pull your **** together Spotify!

Ally's

Same here! It's especially evident for me on podcast playlists, since those tend to have more episodes than albums

Hey there @argella1300

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend this step as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. This usually tends to solve issues like the one you're experiencing.

It's also a good idea to reboot your device after the clean reinstall in order to start fresh. 

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Suggested posts