Family Premium

Country

Germany

Device

(iPhone SE 1. Gen)

Operating System

(iOS 13.6)

My Question or Issue

I disabled mobile data for Spotify but the app is not in offline mode. I'm following a handful of playlists which are set to be downloaded to my phone.

More than often when I get in my car or out of the house and there is no Wi-Fi, Spotify will somehow update/refresh these playlists. That means the already downloaded playlists gets half-deleted and it wants to download new songs. But since there is no Wi-Fi it can't download them so I am out there with my previously downloaded playlist getting half deleted and the inability to download anything. 

Why does Spotify do this? I don't want to set it to offline mode because I am fine with it downloading stuff while Wi-Fi is available. But when I go out to start a run, open my app and like everything I follow is getting made unusable by the program itself this is getting frustrating.

I want Spotify to _only_ update downloaded playlists like Daily Drive or Radio when there is an actual Wi-Fi connection. 

1 Reply

Hey there @Deister,

Thanks posting here in the Community! We'll gladly shed some light on the situation.

The way Radio and Your Daily Drive are made to function is to get updated multiple times during the day. These playlists get refreshed because a change was made to them, sot he app attempts to re-sync them. This means that when the app is connected to the internet, it will attempt to match up your playlists to their most current version.

The solution here would be the one you mentioned - you can use offline mode for the durations you don't want these playlists to update. An alternative would be to copy their contents to a playlist you created and then download it instead. 

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts