Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify shutting down and "saved" music not actually saving

Spotify shutting down and "saved" music not actually saving

Hi there,

I also just sent an email to Customer Support about this. Let's see if I actually get a response.

I primarily use Spotify Premium on my iPhone 5c. I just upgraded from an iPhone 4S, which I had used for about 8 months with Spotify on it.

My Spotify has been shutting down lately for no apparent reason. I'll be using it, and it decides to close. This will happen at any time for any reason. It has nothing to do with my phone, as I upgraded two days ago and the problem persists.

Also, I have noticed that when I "save" albums, artists or songs, many of them disappear when it shuts down and I open it back up. It's as if it was never there. I know that I have had to re-save certain albums 4-5 times, and they just disappear every time I have to reboot. This however does not happen with every single artist, only certain ones that don't seem to want to be saved in my collection. It's very strange. There is proof that they were once in my collection though, because I save a lot of songs in my "Starred" playlist. The playlists themselves seem to go untouched. 

I would like to find out how to delete Artists from my collection. I know that I can "Edit" the playlists tab, but I am unable to delete artists I don't want in my collection. I could "Unfollow" them, but their names don't actually disappear from my collection. They just sit there and say "0 songs". 

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

12 Replies

How many tracks do you have saved in your music collection? There is a limit of 10,000 tracks which has caused issues for a lot of users.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

That's a good question. How do I find that number? I can look in "Your Music" and see the list of songs, but I don't see an actual # of tracks anywhere.

On the desktop client, go to the songs tab and select all (ctrl-a or cmd-a) then start to drag them as if you were going to drop them into another playlist. You'll see a pop-up open giving the total track number.

You are very wise. I am nearly at 10,000. 9,985 to be exact. I can't seem to be able to figure out how to delete songs from Spotify on my phone. I believe I can do it easily enough on my computer, which is how I am viewing it now. 

I will try to do this. Thank you so much!!

I am confident this high number of tracks is in fact the problem, because even on my laptop the program is sooooooo unresponsive.

It's always a lot easier to manage your music in the desktop client. If you don't want to lose track of beloved tracks, you could put them in a playlist before deleting them from Your Music. That way, you'll still have them listed and can move them back to YM easily later, if they increase the 10,000 song limit.

You have been more helpful in just one message than emails all week going back and forth to Spotify Online Customer "Service".

I can't thank you enough.

Thank you, you're very kind. Sometimes talking with other users can throw up ideas which a tech support person might not think of I guess. One of the strengths of communities like this 🙂

But here's another issue...after I went through on my computer and deleted the artists and songs I did not want, I logged off and then turned on Spotify on my phone, and all of the artists I deleted are still in "Your Music". What to do now?

Log out ad back in on your desktop client and make sure they really are gone. If that looks OK, do the same on your mobile to force it to resynch.

It seems to have worked. There are now some artists who I am still "Following" but it now says 0 songs.I'll be interested to see if I am still going to have the same issue with certain artists not saving. I will keep an eye out. Thanks again for all your help and patience. 

The followed artists showing 0 tracks is a known ......erm......."feature" so nothing to worry about. It's another way of keeping track of artists you love without increasing the total Songs. Anyway, glad we're getting there. Have a good day 🙂

Suggested posts