Premium

Country

Canada

Device

iPhone 12 Mini

Operating System

iOS 15.3, Spotify 8.6.99.1454

My Question or Issue

The Spotify app stops playing to AirPlay devices on the same network for an unclear reason. When the phone is restarted, Spotify will play on AirPlay devices for an indeterminate amount of time, but then goes back to being unable to play until the phone is again restarted.

When using the devices menu, I can select the AirPlay device I want to use — the device even seems to acknowledge that something is attempting to play on it (e.g., the light on top of a HomePod Mini illuminates) but no sound comes out and there is no option to adjust the volume from the AirPlay devices list.

I have confirmed that other apps are able to AirPlay from my phone to these devices, and that other iOS and macOS devices are able to AirPlay as well. The issue seems exclusive to the Spotify app on my phone.

13 Replies

Hey @igmcmillan, welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

Could you try a quick clean reinstall of the app? Just follow these steps.

Have you tried on a different network to see if it makes any difference?

I'd suggest to test this with another Spotify as well.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Thanks @Loxer  — I reinstalled the app. I also swapped my Wifi router out this week, as the one supplied by my ISP was under-performing, so it's a new Wifi network.

The problem still occurs. The iOS Spotify app can Airplay the first time I do it, but then if I stop Airplaying and try again later, it appears to be playing, but no sound comes out — until I restart the phone. I can Airplay from Spotify on my MacBook Air, just not my phone.

It seems to be triggered by other apps — if my yoga app Airplays, Spotify can Airplay before the yoga app does, but not after. But this only impacts Spotify; other apps can Airplay after my yoga app, just not Spotify.

Hey @igmcmillan,

Thank you for you reply 🙂

If possible could you try it with another Spotify account?

Also, if you have another iPhone you could test it with your account it would be nice to try to see if the same problem occurs.

Keep me posted.

Hello Everybody,

I have issue with Airplay as well. HK Citation 200 doesn't play sound only for Spotify. The control buttons work,  seems that everything is OK but no sound. I updated the phone,  reinstalled Spotify,  reseted the speaker, no result. I tried with 3 different iPhones and the problem is the same on all 3.  Only Spotify does not work. Can you please help?

Thanks in advance! 

Hey @L4LL3R,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Are you using Spotify Connect to play music on the speaker? If yes, could you try the solution posted in this thread?

If it didn't help, make sure you're running the latest speaker firmware or even reset it to its factory settings.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi,

I have the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. HK Citation 200. Have you found any solutions to this? Or anyone??? 

Hey @pallagipp,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining this conversation.

To make sure we're on the same page, would you mind mentioning the troubleshooting steps you have followed so far?

Also, could you confirm if following the steps in the article mentioned previously by @Dian made any difference? If not, include in your next response the make, model and OS version of your device, along with the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating the case.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Operating System

iOS 16.5

Spotify 8.8.46.565

I have the same problem, spotify does not work with apple airplay consistently. It may play on one speaker, but another, sometimes it can link both, but most of the time it can’t.

Restarting the phone doesn’t solve it.

I reinstalled Spotify, but it didn’t solve it

Hey @igmcmillan,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

To continue investigating this case, could you restart your router to force the sync between your network and your devices? 

Also, would you mind confirming if following the troubleshooting mentioned in this post as previously suggested makes any difference? If not, would you mind confirming if this issue started after an OS or app update? This will give us a better look at it.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem, but I solved following the steps below:

1. Remove the Spotify app.

2. Turn off your iPhone and wait for 15 seconds to restart it.

3. Reinstall Spotify app.

4. try ur airplay.

I tried to remove and reinstall the app immediately, and this didn’t work for me.

The Spotify on my iPad and my wife’s iPhone 12 are working the AirPlay without any issues.  My iPhone 13 can airplay Amazon music and Apple Music without any problems as well. Hence, this issue should be due to the Spotify and my iPhone. 

my iPhone model:
iPhone 13 Pro
iOS 16.5.1 (c) (20F770750d)

I have the exact same issue 😞

Same here. I found a way to temporarily fix it by resetting and reconnecting the speakers. But this isn't a viable solution every day, because it stops working again after a few hours or at night. Any other solutions?

I have tried all the steps that have been outlined except mine never returns to actually playing the audio. I have done literally everything to both phone and HomePod and nothing has changed nor has anything worked. iPhone 11 Pro Max & iOS V 17.1.2 Spotify V 8.8.96.395

Suggested posts