Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stay away from iOS 6 beta 4 (Bad Audio Bug)

Solved!

Stay away from iOS 6 beta 4 (Bad Audio Bug)

I suggest that everyone stay away from iOS 6 beta 4 if you want to listen to music in high quality.

I have also noticed AirPlay and Bluetooth playback issues as well. (glitching)

This is not limited to the Spotify iOS app.

I have gotten word from other people and it looks like 3rd party audio apps not made by Apple are having problems with audio.

This results in very bad audio. Audio still plays, but is at a very low quality despite what quality you choose is the settings.

Some people might not notice, but there is quite a difference.

If you go back to 5.1.1 or iOS 6 beta 3, the sound is back to normal.

Hopefully Apple will fix this in the next iOS 6 beta.

UPDATE:

This bug has been fixed in iOS 6 final release!

I don't have iOS 6 beta 4 to compare, but it sounds normal.

YAY! 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This bug has been fixed in iOS 6 final release!

I don't have iOS 6 beta 4 to compare, but it sounds normal.

YAY! 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star

View solution in original post

51 Replies

Yeah, noticed this myself. Very annoying, and it's rendering Spotify useless for me since the degraded quality is quite noticeable. Tried streaming from iTunes-app, worked flawlessly. So yeah, Apple screwed up here. Just sucks that they probably won't ship a quick fix, and I know no way on how to downgrade to beta 3. So yeah, audio is probably ruined the next week or two.

EDIT:

<---- Impressive that Spotify knew I loved fast food.

It took me a while to downgrade to iOS 6 beta 3. I had to restore from my backup and it took a few hours.

I can't believe we are the only ones to notice this! Almost ever iOS 6 beta tester has upgraded.

This is a disaster! I hope Apple knows this is a bug. I reported the bug to Apple, but I don't know if I did it correctly. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

SoundHound doesn't seem to have been affected, bizarrely enough... And I don't have any previous images of iOS 6 left, so I'm stuck with Beta 4 (the only one I have is 5.1.1 - gonna try to restore it later today, but suspect it will not work 😞 ).

@Mattjsrules wrote:

It took me a while to downgrade to iOS 6 beta 3. I had to restore from my backup and it took a few hours.

I can't believe we are the only ones to notice this! Almost ever iOS 6 beta tester has upgraded.

This is a disaster! I hope Apple knows this is a bug. I reported the bug to Apple, but I don't know if I did it correctly. 

This is why you should stick with trusty Android 😉

Hi guys,

We have actually just released an update for the iOS app today, which should now be compatible with iOS 6. Give it a try!
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

@Sam wrote:
Hi guys,

We have actually just released an update for the iOS app today, which should now be compatible with iOS 6. Give it a try!

Thanks! The radio is working, but the sound quality is till like it's being played back at 22kHz (all audio frequencies above about 10kHz are cut off).

I can confirm this. Still sounds terrible.

No issue with iOS 6 beta 4 on my iPhone 4, excellent audio in all Apps.

--
Spotify on Win10, Yamaha RX-V777, OnePlus 3 Android, iPad 4, NVIDIA Shield TV.

Maybe add that it's an iPhone 4S I have. Listening to a song in the iTunes Store compared to both Sync/Stream setting on Excellent, I can hear a great difference in quality.

So far SoundHound is the only app I could find that streams audio at normal quality. All others sound like 22kHz instead of normal 44kHz.

it still has the sound quality issue, it's like listening to a downgraded version of the same song. what is it? I don't wanna use my premium account like this.

not acceptable! 

Confirmed here as well.  Horrible audio quality.  Come on guys... get this fixed...

have any idea what the issue is?

This is not Spotify's fault!

If you read my first post, this affects ALL 3RD PARTY APPS in iOS 6 beta 4 NOT MADE BY APPLE.

Hopefuly Apple will fix this in the next beta version of iOS 6.

I'm not trying to yell, I just want everything to be clear. Smiley Happy

MattSudaSpotify Star

so you are saying if we downgrade to 5.1.1 this issue will be fixed? or 6 beta 3? beta 4 is so much better, but now we have to give it up for this. arrrgggggghhh...

Yeah, if you go back to 5.1.1 or iOS 6 beta 3, the sound is back to normal.

I had to downgrade back to iOS 6 beta 3 on my iPad.

Luckily I don't use iMessages very much or have very much stuff on my iPad so it was easy to downgrade.

That might not be the case for everyone.

iOS 6 beta 4 IS much faster, but the only thing that made me downgrade was the terrible sound quality. 

MattSudaSpotify Star

The bug only affects analog outpu (the headphone jack). The Bluetooth and AirPlay are not affected.

Hmmm... well I had problems where Bluetooth glitches. I downgraded back to beta 3 and everything is fine.

Hopefully Apple fixes it in beta 5 or gold master of iOS 6.

MattSudaSpotify Star

It also affects the dock connector

Suggested posts