Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sync only local files from starred to iPhone

Solved!

Sync only local files from starred to iPhone

Hi

Is there a way only to syncs the local files form my starred list to my iPhone?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Not sure if this works on iOS but I assume it will be the same!

If you create a new playlist, with only the local files in your starred playlist in it, and sync that one your your device for offline usage, so it only copies those local files from your computer the iOS app should detect that they are the same tracks in your starred playlist and then it will allow you to play those whilst streaming the rest. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Spotify added Local files to the iPhone app. I'm so happy! 😄

Now I can sync my local files without the need to make and manage a playlist!

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You can make a separate playlist of nothing but local files then just sync that then they should show up in starred as synced... Why not just sync them all?

Welcome to the Community emilstahl! there should be a way to sync it to your iPhone if you have the playlist already setup and you have Spotify Premium you can just check that playlist to be available offline.

I don't want all my local files (103 tracks) or all my starred 965 track on my iPhone (takes 8-9 GB).

I just want the local files on my starred synced to my iPhone so i can play them and stream the rest.

Marked as solution

If you create a new playlist, with only the local files in your starred playlist in it, and sync that one your your device for offline usage, so it only copies those local files from your computer the iOS app should detect that they are the same tracks in your starred playlist and then it will allow you to play those whilst streaming the rest. 

Peter

Peter

@Peter wrote:

Peter

This is the only solution that i found that worked. I was hoping there was an easier solution.

I have this issue since updating the iPhone app - it used to be that it would sync just the local files but now it forces the play list to be available off line. I have over 1000 starred tracks so don't want the playlist to be available off line. I want just the local files in the playlist to sync.

**bleep** update.

@Rhod2 wrote:

I have this issue since updating the iPhone app - it used to be that it would sync just the local files but now it forces the play list to be available off line. I have over 1000 starred tracks so don't want the playlist to be available off line. I want just the local files in the playlist to sync.

**bleep** update.

Just make a new playlist on the desktop with only your local files in it and make that one available offline on your iOS device. Those tracks will then be playable in your starred list without making the rest of the playlist available offline. 

Peter

Peter

Marked as solution

Spotify added Local files to the iPhone app. I'm so happy! 😄

Now I can sync my local files without the need to make and manage a playlist!

@Peter wrote:

@Rhod2 wrote:

**bleep** update.

Just make a new playlist on the desktop with only your local files in it and make that one available offline on your iOS device. Those tracks will then be playable in your starred list without making the rest of the playlist available offline. 

Peter

No, I regularly add stars to tracks as I hear stuff I like - it's not practical to update a second playlist every time. That completely negates the point in the star system. They have just chabged things from what used to work to force you to 'make available offline' instead of giving you the option to sync, or make available off line. It seems like spotify is deliberately trying to blur the lines between their stuff and your files (it's now also harder to see what files are local in playlists on the desktop app too). Is this some ploy to get you to just use spotify versions of everything and tie you in so you don't swap to another service? Spotify was better a year ago than it is now - this seems like a bad sign to me.

Suggested posts