Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Syncing local files from macbook to iPhone

Syncing local files from macbook to iPhone

I cannot "add" local files to Spotify on the iPhone.

I've followed the directions to add them on my macbook, created a playlist, that's perfect.

I open Spotify app on phone, the playlist shows up.

I tap the playlist, and instead of seeing the tracklisting, I see "Want to add to songs to this playlist?"  and then I can "Browse".

The songs should be there already, I thought.

I've included 2 pictures.  The playlist in question is "Leaving it all Behind".

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
11 Replies

It's because the local files are on your computer, not exactly on your phone

Totally understand that, but then how do you get the actual file to phone?

I'm not sure which step I missed?  Step 5 is my hangup, there are no files to "download", so the download toggle isn't there. 

This is what I did, per Spotify site:

1. Using the desktop app, add any music files from your computer that you want to sync to a playlist.
2. Log into Spotify on your iPhone using the same WiFi network as your desktop.
3. Tap Your Library in the menu at the bottom of the screen.
4. Tap Playlists.
5. Select the playlist containing the local music files and switch Download at the top on (green).
6. A green arrow will appear next to the tracks when syncing is complete.

Hi there,

To sync local files to your phone, please follow these steps:

1. Connect your Mac and phone to the same WiFi
  2. Once you have imported your own music files into Spotify on your Mac, add the local files to a playlist on your desktop app
  3. Open the Spotify iPhone app and make sure to be logged in to the same account.
  4. Select the playlist with your local files.
  5. Switch the Download tab to YES.
  6. Your playlist should begin syncing.

If there are no files in the playlist, the best thing to do would be to log out from both computer and phone, and back in again. A clean reinstallation would help as well.

Next, make sure to double check your local file format is supported. 

Spotify supports .mp3, .mp4, and .m4p files. It doesn’t support .mp4 files that contain video. If QuickTime is installed on your computer then .m4a files are also supported.

Spotify will match any unsupported local files with songs from the Spotify catalog.

I hope this information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to get back to me if you have any further difficulties.

Best 🙂

in regards to #5, there is NO download tab because the songs don't show up.  That's where I get the screen that says browse for them.  I'm 100% on the same network (at home and tried at work), I guess I will uninstall both apps on macbook and phone and try again.

files are .mp3 as well.

just uninstalled and reinstalled both apps, no success.

Could it be something with Family membership?  

At some point I read that Family membership does NOT support or allow local files??

I would find that very hard to believe if that's the case, but maybe that's why it worked before (1 year +) and now it's not.

Thanks for trying the steps!

The family plan doesn't have anything to do with this, so no worries 🙂

Just to check, when trying to sync your local files, did you make sure the app is open and active on both devices? If yes, can you try connecting your devices to a different WiFi network and see it that helps? 

I'd also recommend rebooting your router and devices before trying again.

Keep me posted!

I can get the files and can put the songs in a folder in my laptop spotify app and they work. Then when I go on my phone, it shows that same playlist and it shows that there are songs in there, but when I click on it, my songs aren't there.

I don't know if you're still having trouble or have solved this but my screen looked the EXACT same and instead of it having the green toggle everyone speaks of, it said nothing and asked if I wanted to add songs just as yours did. I was able to click the three dots in the top right and select the download option from there and it worked perfectly. I hope that helps!

Hello,

Don't know if any of you still have syncing problems, but I write my "solution" here to help any existing and future Spotifyer.

Reading the forum with the same topic for windows user I found that turning firewall off can solve the problem, so I did and voilá, after turning firewall off I could sync my local mp3 files easily to my iphone.

Hope this helps!

There's a setting on the Spotify mobile app, which says something like "hide none-playable playlist items" - this needs to be deselected.

Im having a similar problem with it. I have a macbook and an iphone and i have done everything up to creating the playlist. I can view it on my phone but the songs are greyed out. when i try to play them it tells me to sync the songs from my computer and when i press the download button it just says waiting to sownload and does absolutely nothing. Firewall has nothing to do with this because I have a macbook and it is disabled by default. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Suggested posts