Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Trick to sync on iPhone without Spotify pausing syncing

Solved!

Trick to sync on iPhone without Spotify pausing syncing

A trick to keep syncing offline playlists on iPhone/iPad:

1. Press play on a song in a playlist
2. Press the little i at the left top
3. Turn repeat on (this will repeat the playlist)
4. Now select all the playlists you want to have available offline

Because the playlist is on repeat, Sporify stays active and you can sync all the playlists you want without worrying about Sporify pausing the syncing because Spotify is idle.

I came up with this myself as a way around the pausing of the syncing off playlists when you're not active on your iPhone. A feauture which has literally not a single advantage, and how are you idle when you are actively syncing playlists..

Spotify offer me a job, really 🙂 😛

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

man. Just turn off auto lock. Put in charger. Done. EASY.

But I wonder why it cant sync in sleep mode. Like android.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

This behaviour is driving me up the wall.

I have suggested they change this.  Please add Kudos to this idea!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Allow-spotify-to-sync-on-a-mobile-device-when-it-is-id...

Thanks!

Marked as solution

This is an Apple limitation where the app will killed if its closed for x amount of minutes.

Go to: Settings -> General -> Auto-Lock -> Never

Keep Spotify running and it'll be left to run to sync your offline music. Or you can follow the suggestion above.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

17 Replies
Marked as solution

man. Just turn off auto lock. Put in charger. Done. EASY.

But I wonder why it cant sync in sleep mode. Like android.

Well, corporate phones have the autolock feature disabled, so I appreciate anny and al attempts to make synching possible 🙂 

Thank!

But the point is I don't want to turn auto lock off, I use my iPhone for more than Spotify and don't feel like customizing my settings, for any app basically. I like the fact that my phone has a 2-minute autolock, I walk around a lot (in private but also at work) and don't want anybody to just be able to go into my phone cause I happened to have it laying around. From stupid jokes like changing the wallpaper to people breaking your privacy, the auto lock feature is there to prevent that. Yes I could always cary my phone with me, but that's just not reality.

This IDLE problem is new... never happend in previous versions... as marchiano says it doesnt add any extra funcionality, just annoyance!!

I like your solution but i think spotify should allow offline syncing on the background, customers pay 10euros monthly for having tracks offline, why make this difficult to them?

This drives me insane, especially when the app does it's favourite trick of losing all the songs I have synced.

I have the option to leave the screen open, needlessly draining battery or leave it playing which again, needlessly drains my battery.

YEAH RIGHT...

"This favourite trick of losing all the songs I have synced" happend to me too many times also

Thans for this, I'll give it a try. I have to agree with you - this is THE MOST annoying 'feature' I've ever come accross on any application anywhere. And that's saying something!!

What is the point of it? Just to anoy users??

I thought I was going mad.. Cant sync anything for offline listening  It just stops at first track  Are there any other decent programs like spotify that doesnt give these problems.

Marked as solution

This behaviour is driving me up the wall.

I have suggested they change this.  Please add Kudos to this idea!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Allow-spotify-to-sync-on-a-mobile-device-when-it-is-id...

Thanks!

Thanks man. It was really getting on my nerve. Thanks for solving that. Works fine now.

I fine shuffle works fine too, instead of repeat. 

Kudos. 

Im new to spotify... BUT ALREADY EXPERICED REALLY ANNOYING APP BEHAVIOUR:

1. pausing when syncing. played music prior but still stops. Unlocking solution on iOS helps greatly but still disconnects.

2. lack of graphic/ frequency equalizer when even cheap app developers can do it is beyond my comprehension.

3. no discovery on iOS. Idont linke sitting in front of my mac unless its work.

4. simultaneous use by at least two devices.

5. added: inability to clear/ delete offline content (playlists/ tracks) from cache or system.  the only solution is to delete the app and start all over again when you want to delete, edit existing offline content.  Depending on the size of your of your offline content this will take hours each time you need to resync not to mention re-downloading the app...

suggestions to spotify:

I wound think spotify is addressing these and others. maybe good to just share what's in the pipeline and maybe try to be straight with the community of users what you can and cannot resolve with maybe apple's restrictions.

It would be great if these annoyances are at least dealt with by official answers from spotify through maybe your FAQ.

Finally, I you guys make it to your IPO ; ) xx

> 4. simultaneous use by at least two devices.

There is a reason why they made it so you cant do that.

Just think about for a second.

@Wupme wrote:

> 4. simultaneous use by at least two devices.

There is a reason why they made it so you cant do that.

Just think about for a second.

theres always a reason for everything.... they have to do a cost-benefit study and maybe play around with price tiering.  secondary users may also have limited ability like only playback.

account/app (paid or not) sharing for multiple devices is not a new concept...

This is a limitation to iPhones, not the app. Apple coded iOS to suspend background apps after a few minutes of inactivity to conserve battery life. I wish there was a way to turn this off for certain apps though.

They can't since it's a limitation Apple has put on iPhones. This is not Spotify's fault. After an app is in the background for so long, iOS thinks it is "idle" and basically pauses/freezes the app where it is so it isn't using up resources when you aren't using it. If it wasn't for this feature, the battery life on iDevices would be much worse, but it creates a problem like this for a lot of users.
Marked as solution

This is an Apple limitation where the app will killed if its closed for x amount of minutes.

Go to: Settings -> General -> Auto-Lock -> Never

Keep Spotify running and it'll be left to run to sync your offline music. Or you can follow the suggestion above.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Yes, this is all great, apart from the fact that the app IS still active. It's active syncing my music (or at least it should be). The fact that it works when music us still playing shows that it's possible.

Suggested posts