Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Very high data usage

Solved!

Very high data usage

Well, I have read in this topic that Spotify uses about 2,4MB per minute.That's about 144mb per hour, which is fine. 

Today I drove about 30 minutes to work and 45 minutes back and listned to Spotify on max. quallity. My data usage? 790MB! How is this possible for only 75 minutes of streaming?

102 Replies

I'm having the same issue. Just got an alert that I used 7GB of data (95% of it was Spotify) in 10 days. All the music I listen to is offline. I reset all stats, listened to offline-only music for 25minutes and ended up with 42MB of Spotify data usage.

I have the same problem. Did you find any solution?

No, I have just switched the mobile data off for spotify.

My issue earlier this year (insanely high data usage, even when listening to already saved music) was fixed by a Spotify update. The issue was although the music is saved to your device, the album artwork isn't, and it got stuck in a loop of trying to download the artwork but failing. It would happen continuously, so I was essentially sucking data from the ether as fast as my provider would allow. Would rack up over half a gigabyte in less time than it takes to walk to the shops.

My advice is to notify support/accounts, turn off mobile data for Spotify and hopefully they have a solution soon. Keep a record of your data usage (iPhone will track how much data each app is using, but you need to clear it manually, so maybe try taking screenshots of the data use every few minutes if you need to demonstrate what's happening). I also gave them copies of my phone bill which itemizes data use in blocks, and there were periods of about fifteen minutes where every minute would use EXACTLY the same amount of data (around 52MB), and would only happen when I was out of the house... listening to Spotify.

I found that the customer service was reluctant to provide any sort of compensation for the insane data usage, they eventually offered me a free month, but seeing as I had racked up over three gigabytes of data use over my plan, I didn't budge and they finally offered me three which I took. So my advice:

1. Turn off mobile data

2. If neccessary, track your data use and be thorough with it

3. Don't take measly offers if their bug is costing you considerable money

4. Pester for a fix/update ASAP

I just listened to 3 new songs on the normal quality setting and it used up 178MB of data . Ouch ! 

Obviously a major bug 

Yeah, seems like the exactly same problem as on my phone, since artworks are always disappering when opening the app after few minutes. It probably just downloads all songs from the internet, even though all of them are saved in my device in the highest quality...

I turned off mobile data for now.

Spotify version: 6.8.0.3786 (just released)
iOS 10: 10.0.3
Streaming quality (recommended)

Cleared roaming data and streamed one song with data usage reaching 120 MB. As mentioned earlier, the data usage is extreme. For this became an issue when upgrading to the new iPhone 7. Haven't changed any of the settings.

When could We expect a fix?

I think the only fix is the Apple Music 😛

I have excatly the same problem, very high data consuption even on offline synced playlists, when can we have a fix? 

I was told be the techs to:

"To ensure you’re running the fixed version, we recommend fully closing and reopening the app twice.

1. Double-tap the Home button on your iPhone.
  2. Swipe up on Spotify to remove it from your running apps.
  3. Reopen Spotify.
  4. Double-tap the Home button on your iPhone.
  5. Swipe up on Spotify to remove it from your running apps again."

Doesn't seemed to have completely worked for me but improved it slightly.

I tried this solution but it didin't work for me.

Yesterday I deleted my old iphone in the offline devices of my account (https://www.spotify.com/us/account/offline-devices/), uninstall the app form my new iphone, reinstall it and resync all my playlists to listen them offline. I did some test and the data usage seems beter but I'll monitor it until tomorrow if the problem is resolved.

Same problem here! Does anyone found a solution? 😞

They have admitted there is an issue and are trying to resolve. In the meantime switch the mobile data off for the app

Where did you see that?

Thank you Punk_Life75 !
Did you see that in any forum or something like this?

I had emailed Spotify and they recommended lots of fixes of which none worked. Their last response was to acknowledge an issue and they are working on it.

Awesome!!!

Thank you for your help

spotify killed my dataplan two months in a row. 35mb for one darn song is way too much. get it done spotify!!

i am a heavy user for years now - but i see no reason to use it any further if it isnt fixed asap

Thanks everyone for your input.  Does anyone know how they'll announce when they find a fix?

simple - they just won't. as it seems that only a handful of customers are affected, there just isn't any reason to bring a fix.

A simple link to a downgrade would be the solution for all of us

Suggested posts