Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Very high data usage

Solved!

Very high data usage

Well, I have read in this topic that Spotify uses about 2,4MB per minute.That's about 144mb per hour, which is fine. 

Today I drove about 30 minutes to work and 45 minutes back and listned to Spotify on max. quallity. My data usage? 790MB! How is this possible for only 75 minutes of streaming?

102 Replies

it's happening to me too. I've ran out of data the past two months only to realize Spotify was the culprit. Did a test, Spotify downloaded 20 mb of data in less than 5 minutes!! What is going on here? Do I have to switch to Apple Music??

Yes, switch to apple music.

no way theres happening something here.

But complain hard to the support. They refunded me the last payment for

the excessive data usage at least. Family-Subscription is cancelled though.

Really loved spotify, but no reason to pay for it anymore.

cheers

And how is Apple Music right now? I used it during last winter and it was really slow and playlists generally sucked... did they got better?

I haven't used Spotify much on cellular data because it has always seemed to absolutely hop off my data, so I usually use offline with downloaded playlists.
I decided to turn on cellular data there earlier and it used up 194mb in about 10 minutes and I was playing off a downloaded playlist too!?
I subscribe to Spotify through Vodafone and wondered if this was something that was done to intentionally use up your data as it's been going on for as long as I can remember.

Anyone else subscribed through Vodafone?

Also getting this issue ever since 6.8.0, came back from a trip with 16GB left out of 17GB for the last 10 days of my billing cycle. Spotify managed to use up 15GB within 7 days from just 1.5 hour commutes each day and almost capped me if I didn't get the notifications from my courier. All my songs were already available offline too and somehow it still used so much. We need a fix ASAP, I'm already cosidering hopping to Apple music since it comes free with my plan and now it sounds more appealling than ever. 

This is still a very real issue.  My downloaded playlists are still showing up as using data in my settlings.  Very frustrating.

I've had this issue since the day DAILY MIX was released, about four months ago. I installed 7.5 BETA last week and the problem appears to be finally resolved. I've used 250 MB of data in a week; I was using that much in 15 minutes, listening to previously synced music!

How do you install the beta?

7.5 just pushed out for iOS. My account is still showing cellular usage when playing offline playlists. I couldn't be more frustrated.

Has the same problem! Will not be able to use spotify any more because I have to spend $20 a week on data for 2 hours of listening, hardly worth it!

I've just had a bill for £35 extra data charges last month on Vodafone. This is a ridiculous issue, how can such a large and established company make such a massive mistake. ? and I don't suppose there are any spotify representatives monitoring this thread ?

no - they don't give a f**k 

switch to apple music or another provider.

spotify is happy that there are customers that don't have this issue

and no resources will be ever allocated to solve this problems for us. 2gb traffic for 2 hours of music is simply ridiculous. Once Spotify was a game changer in the way I consumed music and I thought I'd be loyal for ever. 

Unluckily I discovered that somehow it depends on what Spotify Version you have on your phone. On another iPhone there is still an older version of spotify installed and this phone doesn't consume data like a black hole. 

I kindly asked the support to provide a downgrade for me but they declined. 

apple music is not as good as spotify. spotify is far better regarding user interface.

anyway it has all the songs and doesnt burn your traffic

Hi, my issue has been resolved for the last few months with the recent updates. Maybe you should try uninstalling and then reinstalling, it may help.

Good luck

Last time I tried, the version didnt change - now I have a new version number after reinstalling spotify.

Will report success/failure of this.

Luckily Vodafone Germany gave 100gb for free to everyone last month 😄

Ok - Here we go! Try reinstalling the sh*t out of spotify on your phones guys.

After an hour of heavy hardcore listening spotify only consumed 60mb of traffic.

Im more than fine with that - hope it stays like that.

Thank you spotify for most likely accidentally fixing this issue 😉 

As attached, i received a notification from my network provider saying that my i have used up 90% of my data. Knowing something was wrong, i went to check my data usage and found out that Spotify had taken up 3gb++ of it and mostly were from background. Had my network operator notified me, i would have not known and might have been charge crazy amounts for my telephone bill. To add on, i was forced to not use my data until my it has been renew. I have always been a fan of Spotify, however, Lately, it has caused me such inconvenience. I hope you can get back to me ASAP and rectify the problem.
Screenshot_20170505-020528.png

Has there been a solution to this issue yet? I've been saving music to my device for over a year, and only in the last 3 months has my data limit been an issue for me. It's solely because of Spotify! Saving songs to the decive is supposed to save data, right? Does saving songs not matter anymore?

My data plan just renewed 2 weeks ago, and I got a notification last night that I've already used up all of my data! I've uninstalled and reinstalled spotify on my phone like people on this forum suggested, but I'm afraid to turn it on and try it because I have no data left! This is ridiculous! I can't even use a useful app like Waze now, because all of my data has been used up. If I want to use an app like Waze to know where I need to drive to *for my job*, I need to pay my phone plan provider more money, thanks to Spotify. 

Spotfy better find a solution for this, or else I will cancel my subscription and tell EVERYONE about this! I've spent the last 3 months paying extra on my phone bill just to use Sptoify the same amount that I've always used it! I'll save as many other people from this hassle as I can. 

Hello,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue since April this year. Yesterday my Spotify has used more than 800 MB mobile data which is rediculous, since I used the app as usual. I'm looking forward a decision of this problem.

Suggested posts