Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why can’t I turn off shuffle for my playlists on iOS?

Why can’t I turn off shuffle for my playlists on iOS?

Why are my playlists all stuck on shuffle for playback? On mobile, on both iphone and iPad.

i found an article in support that I included in the screenshot.  When I hit shuffle play, the shuffle interweaving arrows just stay green, and the song playing jumps forward to the next randon selection?

i want to stay on linear order for whole playlists.

did my account fall out of premium?

Premium

Free/Premium

Country

Ipad Air 

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System iOS 15.3.1

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

CDB133FE-067D-46BF-96DD-61BD613241E5.png
2 Replies

Hey @paulhuffman

When you are viewing a playlist, to play the playlist in order you need to tap on the first song on the list. If you tap the play button with the shuffle icon at the top there, then it will always play the playlist with shuffle turned on.

To turn off shuffle:

• Tap on the colored bar at the bottom that shows the song currently playing to bring up the "now playing screen"
  • On the "now playing screen" tap on the shuffle icon to turn it off. Green means it's on. Then swipe down or press the arrow at the top left to close the "now playing screen"
  • Now go back to the top of the playlist and tap on the first song. It should then play in order without shuffle.

I have an idea posted here that explains the confusion that can happen and I have suggested a better way I think Spotify should show this button to improve the experience. You can vote for it if you agree.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Albums-amp-Playlists-Have-BOTH-Play-amp-Shuffle-buttons-...

Let me know if this helps

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Myhdfs wrote:

Why are my playlists all stuck on shuffle for playback? On mobile, on both iphone and iPad.

i found an article in support that I included in the screenshot.  When I hit shuffle play, the shuffle interweaving arrows just stay green, and the song playing jumps forward to the next randon selection?

i want to stay on linear order for whole playlists.

did my account fall out of premium?

Premium

Free/Premium

Country

Ipad Air 

(iPhone 8, Samsung Galaxy 9, Macbook Pro late 2016)

Operating System iOS 15.3.1

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

The Shuffle button you can see on the iPhone's main Music app screen can turn Shuffle mode on, but it will not turn it back off again. To toggle Shuffle, tap the Player bar at the bottom of the iPhone screen, and then swipe up the player window to find the real Shuffle control

Suggested posts