Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does Spotify stream even though I have the music downloaded locally on my iPhone?

Why does Spotify stream even though I have the music downloaded locally on my iPhone?

Plan

Premium

Country

Singapore

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

My Question or Issue

Why does Spotify stream music even though it is downloaded locally on my phone?  I am overseas and Spotify has been streaming using 7GB of data in one week for Music that is already downloaded and has been for a long time.  This has cost me unnecessary data charges - it seems ludicrous that this happens - surely the default option for downloaded music would be to play from the device not stream?

4 Replies

Hello,

You can listen to only your downloaded songs by going to the cog on the home screen > playback > toggle "Offline" to the right. This should prevent Spotify from streaming and will only use the songs downlaoded to your device. Offline will expire after 30 days. This is because Spotify needs to verify that the song licenses and your premium subscription are still up-to-date. After you come online again and everything is re-verified, you should be able to go back into offline mode for 30 days again. Hope this helps! 

Thank you!

Happy to help. Have a great day!

Wouldn't it be great if Spotify simply played your offline music when you wanted to listen to it by default if it is actually downloaded? Why make us toggle offline mode when the music is already there locally? It makes no sense and is a complete waste of data and or WiFi bandwidth.

Suggested posts