Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does music stop playing when scrolling past ads or videos while browsing the web or instagram?

Why does music stop playing when scrolling past ads or videos while browsing the web or instagram?

When I scroll past an ad or video (without stopping or clicking on it) while Spotify is playing, the music stops and doesn’t restart on its own once I've scrolled past it.

iPhone 11, Safari, everything up to date. Premium family plan. Tried restarting phone.

6 Replies

Hey @AllyLynn, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Spotify will pause the music when you're listening to another audio source so that you don't get interrupted with the other audio you're listening to, so that is expected. This happens to me when I am scrolling through ads on Instagram since I have an iPhone as well, so I completely get what's going on.

If you scroll past ads on Instagram without any sound playing from the ads or even just picture ads, could you try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app following these steps? You can also try reinstalling your Instagram app. 

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks, Billy!

Am I understanding correctly that if I re install Spotify then the interruptions in sound could potentially resolve?

I should also mention: It does happen with instagram, though it happens when I’m scrolling anywhere on the web. My partner and I both recently upgraded our phones to iPhone 11, and hadn’t noticed the interruptions prior to that. It makes me wonder if there is a setting on the phone that could be changed to disallow interruptions?

I appreciate your help and feedback,

Ally

Hey @AllyLynn,

Performing a clean reinstall of the app can resolve many issues because it's refreshing the app and giving the app a fresh slate on your device. Keep in mind that you won't lose save music/content on your account by performing the reinstall.

If you're still having trouble with Spotify after the reinstall, please let me know if this happens when you play a different video on Safari, or Twitter, for example.

To answer your other question, there isn't a setting necessarily for this, and as mentioned in my last reply it is normal when you're playing another audio source while Spotify is playing, Spotify will pause the music so you don't get interrupted by what you're listening to.

You can also try restarting your device as well, and make sure that your software is up to date (Latest version as of 5/20/20) is iOS 13.5.

Let me know what happens!

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. After I started using my new iPhone, Spotify pauses when scrolling past an Ad in other apps.

Already tried reinstalling Spotify as well as the apps that cause the music the pause. The Ads have sound, but this is muted. I didn’t have this issue on my previous phone and would appreciate a fix as I can’t listen to music anymore when using other apps.

Hi there @Marlene6,

Thanks for reaching out in the Community!

Currently there is no way to give one app priority over the Audio output on an iPhone. There is no option to give the sound from Spotify priority over other incoming ads and video clips. 

We recommend getting in contact with the Support team from Apple, as they might know a way to stop other apps hijacking the audio output channels of the device.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Please contact Apple.com/feedback as there is a fix for this issue for Mac but not yet for iPhone. I got this advice from Apple support and they were confident it can be addressed once they get feedback on this issue

Suggested posts