Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Will Spotify Premium allow Spotify to work overseas?

Will Spotify Premium allow Spotify to work overseas?

I live in Australia and I have a free Spotify account which works fine. However when I went to Vietnam earlier this year my Spotify would not work. In a few weeks I will be heading off to France for two months and I really need Spotify with me. Does Premium allow Spotify to work overseas? I don't want to buy premium if I can't use it for two months.

34 Replies

Hi @Natedang,

Thanks for the post.

Once you've activated a Premium subscription you can move anywhere in the world and enjoy Spotify 🙂 The price of Premium differs between countries, but you'll keep paying the price you agreed upon signup even if you move around, while your Premium subscription is active.

In case you switch countries for an indefinite period of time, you might want to check out this support Article about managing your account's country and region settings.

Hope this helps. We're here if you have more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi, I am an Indian citizen studying in the US. Currently, my Play Store in mobile phone is set to US but my laptop Spotify is set to India. I am currently visiting India. If I purchase Spotify Premium in India, will the same subscription work on my mobile phone Spotify which is set to US? FYI -- the ads for Premium on my mobile phone spotify discuss the Premium subscription rate in USD, thats why I am unsure if the Spotify subcription purchased from my laptop in India will carry over to my mobile phone in US?

Hey @bsapra,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

As explained above by @Alex, once your Premium subscription is active, you can use Spotify from anywhere in the world. The cost of Premium varies depending on the country, but as long as your subscription to Premium is current, you'll continue to pay the price you agreed to when you signed up.

Keep in mind, if your account is on Premium, the country or region settings are not going to change automatically. If you subscribe while visiting India and you use a payment method from there, the region in your account would be India, even if you travel back to the United States. If you see different details in both the desktop app and the mobile app, perhaps you logged in on two different accounts. You can check the details on both devices, by accessing your profile in each app.

Finally, keep in mind the ads are based on the country you're in, regardless of your account settings. That's why when you're in the United States, you see some ads on USD.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, we're always a post away.

Cheers!

AlejaRModerator

Okay, so i have Turkish and Dutch citizenship and bank accounts and living address. I live in the Netherlands, where Spotify Premium is €10 and in Turkey its €1. Can i subscribe for Spotify Premium in Turkey for the lower price and use it in the Netherlands? Is this allowed?

Hi there! I am from Bulgaria but soon I'll move to the Netherlands. What will happen if I go there having a Bulgarian account and a Premium subscription? Some of the Dutch songs are not available in my country and I was wondering if it’s possible to listen to them once I am there having my account and subscription based in Bulgaria. (I hope it is possible since the Bulgarian subscription is way cheaper but it’s more limited as well)

hi there, I am planning to buy 1 year pre-pay premium plan from Bangladesh, but I am flying to UK in coming month. Do I need to buy it again UK or just continue using my plan for this 1 year? Thanks in advance

My hometown is in India, but I am studying in Canada. If I buy Spotify Premium under Student Discount in India (in INR), will I be able to use Spotify Premium in Canada? What changes will I have to make to my account?

Hi there @livingROYally,

Thanks for the post.

In order to activate your Student Premium discount, you'll need to verify as a student in your Canadian school/ University. This will only work if you're currently located in Canada and the country on your Spotify account is set to Canada. 

You won't be able to activate Student Premium in India with the credentials from your Canadian school. 

If you decide to activate Premium Individual in India, you'll be able to use that anywhere in the world, as long as your Indian payment method stays active. Note that this will work only with recurring payment methods, such as Pay Pal or debit card. It won't work with prepaid subscriptions, since you won't be able to reactivate those once you leave the country.

More info can be found here.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hello, I am from India and currently in Austria for few months. I want to upgrade to Spotify Premium, can I opt for Indian plans?

If I bought a 1 year giftcard in my country and go overseas, will it still work.

Hey i have the student discount rn but im going abroad to japan for 3 weeks in August

would my spotify still work

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting in the thread!

If you're travelling temporally, you usually don't need to change your subscription or the account settings. However, if you're staying in a new region for a longer time or moving to another country, you may need to update your info. Feel free to check this page for more details.

@Dalarynotfound - your account should work even when travelling for a few weeks, as long as your current subscription is active. If you will be without internet connection when travelling, you can also download some of your playlists before leaving, to make sure you have the tracks available.

Hope this clear things up! Cheers.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I currently have Individual Premium and planning to get Duo for my partner. My partner is currently abroad and will stay there for a few years, can I still add him in my Duo plan while I pay for the premium?

Hey there @krinj,

Thanks for posting in this thread.

Keep in mind that Premium Duo is a discount plan for 2 people who live together. If your partner is not located in the same country as you are at that moment, it won't be possible for them to join your plan. The members of a Premium Duo plan must reside at the same physical address. You can read more about it in this article.

Nonetheless, if your partner is currently traveling abroad, you can start the plan as soon as they return home and invite them to join it. It's important that you double-check your accounts settings, to make sure you both have the same country/region in your accounts. Just to clarify, Premium accounts country/region settings are based on where the payment method you're using was issued.

If your partner is using Premium abroad with a payment method of the country they're currently in, they should cancel their subscription and wait until their account reverts to free to be able to update their country/region settings. They can follow the steps in this article.

Note: The new country or region only shows when you’re actually there.

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions or need anything else, the Community is here for you.

AlejaRModerator

Just to make sure wanted to ask, I want to buy a 12 month pre paid subscription here in South Africa, then use it when I’m going to be abroad in Germany for a year. It’s about 3,5€ a month here while it is 12€ a month in Germany. Would it still work and not give me trouble? It’s an premium individual membership paid by a once off fee from a South African card?

Suggested posts