Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Won't sync local files, says it's pending all the time

Solved!

Won't sync local files, says it's pending all the time

I updated to the latest version, and was playing around and pressed that button that said "Available Offline" at the top of the local files playlist on your iPhone, then switched it back. After that all the songs disappeared in my local files playlist on my phone. When I got home I tried to resync everything but when I go to "Devices" --> "My iPhone" and check the local files box to sync them, it just says "pending". I use the free version by the way.

I've tried reinstalling desktop/iPhone app, syncing over 3G, different internet connections, and I have 16G of free space. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it, thanks!

66 Replies
Marked as solution

This might help. If in spotify on your local computer you go to edit, then preferences and scroll down there is a cache subtitle. One of the radial buttons automatically limits your file size on spotify to 10% of your local free space. You can check the manual button and allocate much more cache space. Once you do this quit spotify and reboot local system. Start spotify. Start remote device and see if this helps. Make sure you are not also syncing local files to play off line and that there are not lots of messages loading in the right pane. 

My ipod touch now began to sync with my computer via wifi.

You might also see if the quality setting is too high on your remote device and that there is enough remote device memory to handle the size of your pending request. Perhaps use highquality setting  instead of extreme for example.

Not sure this will help for you but it did for me.

Good luck

the doktor

This worked: Like someone wrote: create a playlist with your local files on your desktop version. Tick both "Local files" and the playlist just created for syncing - then it worked

Increasing the cache worked like a charm. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Hi!

I also have local files but it won't work with the sync....

Do you or any other here have a solution?

Thanks so far!

@HotShotChinez - Can you see your phone under "Devices" in the desktop client?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hey, it's HotShotChinez but I'm on smother account. And no, I can't se my phone, Also I have an iPhone. Thx so far!

I know this was 2 years ago but this worked for me!

@G-0wen wrote:

I've had luck with the pending status by creating a new playlist (called mine 'Temp') and added all of my local files to it. Then going into sync and ticking both that playlist and local files.

Not ideal fix but it works better than all the other systems I've read. I'm not sure what happens when I delete the 'Temp' playlist after sync. I'm just going to keep it on the bottom of my playlist list as a neccesary convienience.

G

edit: Running latest desktop client on i7 iMac and latest iPhone client on iOS7 iPhone5. Local files stored in dropbox Sync folder.

Marked as solution

I was having the same sync issue with a pending play list after importing local files.  I tried several of the suggestions without any success.... temp files, freeing up space, etc. didn't work for me.

I went back to "Local Files" under YOUR MUSIC and cleared the folder.  This time instead of importing from the FILE menu Import Playlist > I opened my iTunes folder and did a click and drag into the Local Files space window in Spotify.  

I noticed an immediate change.  All the files were list in the brighter white font (rather than dim grey) and many of the files loaded before had a TIME of 0:00, now all of them showed the full length of the song.  After adding the songs to the same previous playlist I was able to sync all songs to my iPhone app without any issues.

It is more work to drag the files over but I hope you have the same success I did.

Thanks....

This actually worked!!! Great solution to the problem!

Marked as solution

I fixed it 😄

you must add all local files to a playlist first
good luck !

I have the same exact problem too, if you use windows (I use a toshiba windows 8 laptop), there is something called the Windows Media Player, which is a default album on spotify, if you did not use it, nothing would be in it. So, just drag all your songs from local files to there. Then, connect your ipad or iphone and the press manualy select a album and press "windows media player" . It doesnt work very well, sometimes it still says pending, but it takes about 20 min or so. hope i helped 🙂

So helpful i didnt have enough space on my phone! thankyou 🙂

I set the local files to Available Offline.

Closed the Spotify Windows Desktop App (EXIT out completely)

Closed the Android Spotify App. Cleared Memory on the device.

Reopened Android Spotify App. Saw the local files, appears as playlist.

All songs populate on Android app.

Nothing happened until I set the Android Spotify app play list to Available Offline.

Took a bit for the song times to self correct.

Some tracks are missing album art. Does not carry ovver the album tags.

Song titles, times all there. 

Spotfiy ads album art from other albums, yet some don't even exist in the Spotify library... Very strange.

The CD is very rare... Van Morrison Best Of Volume 2 ... Songs like, "In the Garden, "Irish Rover," etc. No MP3 version even on Amazon and none of the music services like Spotify have it.

Anyway, the album is now on my phone via Spotify with all my other music. Cool. 🙂

Make Mussic Available Offline both on the PC and phone seemed to be the ticket!

While this is a proven solution, it isn't realistic because it's too many steps to simply sync local songs onto a device.

@smallvn94 wrote:

I fixed it 😄

you must add all local files to a playlist first
good luck !

Agreed. This is a broken feature that needs to be fixed. Bad on Spotfy for recommending any kind of workaround for this issue.

I, too, have this problem.

FIX IT, JESUS CHRIST!

Is it just me , but surely the simplest solution to this problem is for the Spotify app to access the iTunes library that's ALREADY ON THE PHONE? The Amazon Music player uses this library, so Apple do allow third party applications access. If you have any MP3's that weren't purchased from Apple or Amazon, it's fairly simple to add them to the library in iTunes on your Mac or PC. Doing it this way would have a number of advantages, not least it would avoid Spotify's dreadful synchronisation process. It would also avoid duplication of files and it would be possible to add the music to the songs/albums/artists listings (rather than the separate local files directory). Have Spotify considered this or is there some technical reason why it can't be done? 

Thanks, man!  About to go on a 15 hour flight and this was driving me crazy.  Increasing the cache worked for me!

Thanks for the help everyone. 🙂 I was able to download my local songs...My Solution? 

1. Delete the Spotify App (Kinda sucks)

2. Re-install spotify

3. Connect phone to the same wifi as computer

On the computer

4. Add the local songs into a new playlist

5. Select the new playlist and all the playlists from before to be available offline. 

6. As well as the playlist select the local files to be synced as well

So... you should have the playlist with the local songs and the local files ticked to be synced too! 

Did I help? Hope I did! Please pass on a kudos!

It kinda of works, but it's just a workaround.

They should allow us to save local albums or artists in My Music, also the search should work for local files too.

Suggested posts