Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

difference between Radio and Stations?

Solved!

difference between Radio and Stations?

Under the hamburger menu (the 3 lines at the top left), there is a function called "Radio". This seems to contain all the auto-generated playlists that I've made based on a song or artist. I also see "Stations" under "Your Music". In fact, it has the same icon as Radio --> ((o))

What does Stations do? 

IMG_3077.PNG
IMG_3076.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've done a bit more experimenting with this. It seems that when I create a new station, it shows up in Radio as a Recently Created station. But it does not show up in Stations. Then, when I click "Follow" for that station (in Radio), it shows up in my Stations. 

Strange since I don't see this difference in the desktop version...it's all under Radio.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi. Radio is a functionality in Spotify where you can start to listen to music in a random way according to the music you have listened to, it gives the experience of a regular fm radio. The stations are like specific kind of radios. So, under stations you can have let's say a Pink Floyd Station and a Radiohead Station but both are part of the radio functionality. So in a nutshell, Stations are the elements contained within a group called Radio.

Marked as solution

I've done a bit more experimenting with this. It seems that when I create a new station, it shows up in Radio as a Recently Created station. But it does not show up in Stations. Then, when I click "Follow" for that station (in Radio), it shows up in my Stations. 

Strange since I don't see this difference in the desktop version...it's all under Radio.

This explanation doesn't help. At all. 

This explanation doesn't help. At all.

I've been wondering the same thing myself for a long time, and this is not a clear answer. 

Agreed. I'm a programmer and even I am baffled by what Spotify is trying to accomplish by having "Stations" and "Radio". In terms of user experience, it's extremely negative because until I found this post I thought Spotify had lost my radio stations, which frankly, I put a lot of time into training. (And that's a sticky feature that helps retain customers long term because it increases switching costs.)

Please fix this. If you understand it, but your users don't, you're wrong even. Period.

Seriously, Spotify. Considering the $millions invested, can you not design a comprehensible UX? You shouldn't sleep until your users no longer have to trip over redundant, overlapping, nonsensical features.

Also confused by this. Good post OP.

Suggested posts