Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS Spotify App only crashes when connected to 3G, works when connected to wireless

iOS Spotify App only crashes when connected to 3G, works when connected to wireless

First, some background. After updating to 0.6 my spotify app kept crashing whenever I opened it. I closed the app, tried it again. I restarted my iPhone 4. Still didn't work. I reinstalled, no luck. Finally I realized that the app only worked when I had a wireless connection and crashed whenever I was connected to 3G. Details below:

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I opened up spotify.

2. Then the loading icon appeared

3. Then the app would show for about a second.

4. Then the app crashes

What I expected to happen

I expected the app to work.

What actually happened

THE APP CRASHED =(

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 4

Device’s Operating System

Is your device jailbroken?

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

Fewer than 10, currently 0 synced.

My mobile Spotify version

My provider and country

AT&T

My username

patapat87

18 Replies

Could AT&T be blocking access to the Spotify servers, resulting in an unexpected result and crashing the app?

If that's the case, how can I fix this? Also this problem has persisted for at least 48 hours.

@patapat wrote:

If that's the case, how can I fix this? Also this problem has persisted for at least 48 hours.

Has it always been the case though?

Could you try a different carrier?

No, it has just only started when I updated the spotify app to 0.6.0

@patapat wrote:

No, it has just only started when I updated the spotify app to 0.6.0

Unlikely to be my theory then.

Please could you try a full device wipe after another reinstall? If that doesn't work, I'll forward it to Spotify staff for you 🙂

Liam

He could try a Virtual Private Network. Aka VPN to possibly bypass the AT&T servers couldn't he?

A full wipe is rather inconvenient. I did a complete reinstall following the instructions outlined in the troubleshooting section. I've had spotify for almost a year now and i've never had an issue like this. My problem is very specific and it coincides with the latest release, there must be some direct cause.

To be clear the app works perfectly fine when connected to wireless.

Have you tried restarting your phone?

Or perhaps you need to perform a apple software update to your phone?

I have restarted my phone on multiple attempts to get the app to work. I will update the software if I can't find a fix to this issue.

It's possible that it's crashing because its not compatible with your iOS software, 5.0.1 was a while ago and spotify doesn't support iOS 4 either so it's quite possible it doesn't support 5 anymore

@555michael wrote:
It's possible that it's crashing because its not compatible with your iOS software, 5.0.1 was a while ago and spotify doesn't support iOS 4 either so it's quite possible it doesn't support 5 anymore

iOS 5 and 6 are both supported in the current application.

iOS has a dedicated legacy application called Spotify for iOS 4 😉

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have this EXACT same problem! I have a similar setup - iPhone 4, iOS 5.0, but on O2 in the UK) since I upgraded to 0.6.0 my Spotify app crashes whenever I open it and it's not connected to wifi. I found I can get it to work and play my offline tracks by putting my phone in airplane mode when I'm out and about. Obviously this means I can't receive calls or texts or basically use any of the functions of my iphone.

This is a huge problem for me as the only reason I pay for Spotify premium is to use it on my phone while out and about. I have never had any problems like this before and it coincided directly with upgrading to 0.6.0. I hope this can be fixed soon!

I have the same issue as all other users in this thread: App works fine on wifi/airplane mode but crashes instantly after starting up while on 3G.

I note that there was a Spotify app update yesterday, which DID FIX OTHER CRASH issues, but did not fix the 3G crash issue. It would be nice if this was given some priority.

I have tried all the suggestions give here (reinstalling the app, rebooting/powering off), short of clean reinstalling everything on the phone, which would be an outrageously invasive procedure.

Interestingly, upon reinstall the app works fine on 3G until the point where one has logged in - then it briefly shows the app screen at shuts down. Let this be another hint to the developers for where to look for the bug in their software.

Spotify: It sucks big time to pay a monthly fee for a non-functional product. Meanwhile, please do not charge for this (lack of) service.

By the way: I am on iOS 5.0.1 and Spotify 0.6.1.48 (and note that it's the _previous_ update that initially broke the app on 3G).

Spotify, you have just updated the app, and I've installed the new one (Version 0.6.2). Alas, the 3G crash issue described in this thread persists.

I am still experiencing this issue. To reiterate, the app only crashes when I am on 3G. Wifi and offline mode works fine. I have tried restarting my app, restarting my phone, and reinstalling the app.

So far no update has fixed this issue, I hope a mod/admin will look into it.

Thanks,

Patrick

have you tried the most recent app update, patapat?

Suggested posts