Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS app 1.8.1.8 crashes frequently when starting a new song

Solved!

iOS app 1.8.1.8 crashes frequently when starting a new song

Description

Both this version and the previous version of the application frequently crashes.  The crashes always occur right at the start of a track saved on a playlist.  I've not had any of the other problems I've seen reported (e.g. startup crash, very slow, etc.)  Sometimes it's the first attempt to play a track, other times it will be 2 or 3 tracks into the playlist.  So far, I've only been attempting in offline mode. The crashes occur both with gapless playback on or off, with the app focussed or not, with the mobile locked or unlocked.

Note that after about 100 crashes with this version and the previous over the past couple weeks (I'm persistent), I have now successfully played 8 songs in a row while typing this bug report (typical).  Note the songs I've been listening to recently are all shorter songs (3-4 mins) whereas many of the crashes occurred while starting to play longer songs (5-10 mins).  Sync quality is extreme.  When the opportunity to resync arises, I'll try downgrading all songs to standard quality to see if that helps.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Open the app

2. Try to play a song from an offline-synched playlist

3. Either immediately or within a few songs, the app crashes.

What I expected to happen

Songs to play

What actually happened

Within a few songs, the app crashed

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 4S

Device’s Operating System

Is your device jailbroken?

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

I have something like 100 playlists saved, with maybe half of them synched for offline use.

My mobile Spotify version

1.8.1.8 (premium subscription)

My provider and country

EE - UK

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, i have the same problem with version 1.8.1.8. I'm running on an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.1

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Hey @sdw 

Thanks for your very detailed post!

Is it possible to try updating to iOS 8.1? (Where possible the newest versions help out.) 

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers 🙂

Marked as solution

Hi, i have the same problem with version 1.8.1.8. I'm running on an iPhone 5S with iOS 8.1

It Seems that the problem is disabling the fader time between two numbers. I changed it to 0 seconds. Now it's playing for several hours without any issues.

I have the same problem but on an iPod Touch 4. Sometimes the app crashes on the loading screen and doesn't even open, while other times the app works fine for a while. Sometimes the app crashes mid-song for no reason. I wish that there were a stable version of the app made for legacy devices. The o ly purpose of even having the iPod is to use Spotify with my iPod Dock.

Suggested posts