Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Solved!

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Update: iOS update 0.5.9 has fixed the stability issues. Please update now and test it out.

The new iOS 0.5.8 update has killed the iPad app. Even after reinstall it constantly crashes. What's going on?

I'm running iOS 6.0.1 on the 4th generation iPad. 

Spotify can't seem to get their act together...

New update also kills the people tab on the iPad.

When clicking on the people tab, friends are shown for a few seconds and then the list disappears.

This happens on every re-launch. There is no way to get the people list to show for more than 3 seconds.

Also after clicking on settings and clicking on a settings menu on the iPad, the settings back arrow is cut off at the top.

My music experience has been ruined by these bugs.

UPDATE: 

I was able to use the app for a while -- notice the other bugs I found --  and after downloading playlists for offline use, the app started crashing.

Looks like downloading any playlist for offline use will constantly crash the app until you reinstall the app.

The most used feature on the iPad app constantly crashes the app?

What...? Updates need more testing before going live.

I would be happy to help test future updates.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
236 Replies

Description

The Spotify app on my iPad crashes at startup every time. It is now unusable.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. Updated to the latest version of the Spotify app (0.5.8)

2. On trying to open the updated app it crashed.

3. I tried resetting the app (closing from the taskbar & restarting)

4. I tried closing all apps and rebooting iPad

5. I deleted the spotify app and reinstalled

What I expected to happen

The app to not crash on startup, so that it can actually be used for what I pay a subscription for.

What actually happened

The app has become unusable

My iPad/iPhone model

iPad 2 - 64Gb - WiFi only

Device’s Operating System

iOS 6.0

Is your device jailbroken?

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

Approximately 50 - On my iPad approximately 15 have been downloaded for offline use.

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

n/a

My provider and country

WiFi only, Australia

My username

Ketan

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

No - app crashes on startup

Just wanterd to say I have tried the iPad version 5.8.73 yesterday and like a lot of othe users it constantly crashes.
The app opens however when I try and scroll down the playlist it crashes. It starts to scroll then after it reaches the Maroon 5 albums it will always crash. It will allow me to play the first few albums on my playlist but anything I downloaded a few weeks ago do not work. I was tempted to delete the Maroon 5 albums. Lets face it they are not that great but I then I found sollace in this thread which seems to describe exactly the same issue.

Just to add my thought I switched off wifi and tried to play a song from offline mode and the same happens so I guess its not a server issue.

This is a disaster as I use Spotify a lot and I have gone as far to say that this is the best app (when used with an iPad) I have ever used. When lookign for a brilliant app, people often focus on highly complex games or business apps but something simple like efficient and elegant access to music is something that every person on the planet would want.I have been talking to friends a lot about how brilliant Spotify is and I now feel a little foolish for doing so.

I guess you need to fix this quickly to keep your reputation with your faithful users and while your at it ... my reputation with my mates.

Please put back the old version on the app store so I can listen to my music again.

In future please regression test your apps properly. Rushing out the latest flashy features 'Looks good on an iPhone 5' counts for nothing if most of the existing users cant use your service.

user: berniecmills

Hopefully Spotify could develop the basics of a QC process.

Same problem. Crashes everytime at startup. If someone could do some maintenance on my playlists as well that would be appreciated. I really wouldn't want to delete my playlists.

I miss my spotify, please fix.

I noticed that all my playlists in my Desktop Spotify have been moved into a "SpotON Radio" folder for some really weird reason, a few days ago. Could this have anything to do with it? 😕

SpotON Radio was an app I used before on my iPhone, but I don't have it installed on my phone any longer.

I expect a free month of Spotify for all this trouble.

It looks like this now: http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd394/Dawid_Dahl/SpotONRadio.png?t=1352628143

mmm - how long are you going to take to sort this out - totally unusable upgrade - I wish I'd never upgraded it as it was working fine before.  If it isn't sorted soon I'll be cancelling my subscription!

I just deleted the app, rebooted and installed Spotify for iOS4  and that is working fine... May be a good backup solution for people - for now...

I have this problem only on my iPad (generation 3) not on iPhone 4s!

Hi,

I have and Ipad-1, 3G 64G running iOS 5.1.1, and with Spotify 0.5.8.73, and it crashes continuosly, when I try do browse the lists. Right now is completely useless.

Description

The Spotify app on my iPad crashes at startup every time. Can't use it

1. Updated to the latest version of the Spotify app (0.5.8)

2. App crashes constantly after update

3. I tried resetting the app (closing from the taskbar & restarting)

4. I tried closing all apps and rebooting iPad

5. I deleted the spotify app and reinstalled

The app to not crash on startup, so that it can actually be used for what I pay a subscription for.

What actually happened

The app has become unusable

My iPad/iPhone model

iPad 3 - 32GB - WiFi only

iOS 6.0.1

No

About 9

n/a

My provider and country

WiFi only, England

My username

joshdf123

No - app crashes on startup

Description

Unable to access playlists on iPhone or iPad; frequent crashes.

1. I installed the latest update on my IOS devices, and they kept crashing when I tried to access my playlists.

2. I deleted and reinstalled the apps, but the problem remained.

3. I googled and found this forum, so tried clearing the Safari caches and reinstalling again, but the problem remains

I expected there to be at least a tempoary fix, such as rolling back to the last stable mobile version.

What actually happened

I found a "community" just as confused and frustrated as myself, without clear communications from Spotify, hoping to have our mobile playlists working again very soon.  Please help us!

My iPad/iPhone model

iPad 1 & iPhone 4

iPad is running iOS 5.1.1. iPhone is running iOS 6.0.1

No

More than 200, none synced for offline use on the iPad, but about 20 were synced on the iPhone before I had to delete the app and all its data

0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8 (Windows 7)

I  experienced some mysterious movements of playlist folders last week, and guessed this might be the fault of my young children, who use the Windows desktop application. I tried to re-order the playlist folders on the desktop application, although this is a frustrating process because the folders won't move where they should.  (There are some - unresolved - threads in the Windows desktop section of this forum about the difficulties of re-ordering playlists and playlist folders in recent months.  I have had great trouble since renaming a playlist folder several months ago.)  I managed to restore the folder structure on the desktop, albeit in a different order, but did notice that my iOS devices were not consistent in how they displayed the folder structure.  Since the "upgrade" to the mobile app, I haven't been able to view the playlist folder structure at all as the app crashes as soon as I touch the playlist button on both devices.  I can stream playlists directly from "search" on the iPad, and can stream everything else directly from "search", but the app crashes as soon as I touch "playlists" on both devices, and also when I touch "people" on the iPad.

My provider and country

iPhone is Everything Everywhere, iPad is O2, both United Kingdom

My username

david.99

No, crashes too quickly.

I have the same problem. When I scroll down the online play list the app closes immediately, no warning no error messages.

this has happened since the last update. Worked ok for a short time now crashes.

it's fine on my windows 7 pc.

my username is SteveGriggs.

guys, we are getting a bit impatient....do something!

It's the withdrawal symptoms - we need a fix!

Can you tell me when are you updating it I uses spotify radio for my coffee shop I need Music!!!!! My business depends on it clients are complaining

Wow, this still has not been fixed? /facepalm.

I'm also having the same problem, Spotify App crashes on my iPad 3rd generation just after start.

It's too frustrating and dissapointing that after five days since the release have been not able to resolve a problem that many users are suffering. We're paying by a service that we can't use.

Description

Ipad Spotify version 0.5.8.73 crashes on my IPad-mini everytime I try to download a playlist for offline use.  

1. Cleard my Safari cookies and browsing history in the Ipad's Settings

2. Uninstalled Spotify

3. Reinstalled Spotify

4. Connected MacBook Pro to the same wireless network as the iPad

5.  On my MacBook Pro I made the playlist titled "Bright Sorrow" (approx 45 tracks that I own, all DRM-free) available for offline use - no problems

6.  While still connected to the wireless network and w/ Spotify open on both my laptop and iPad, I try to make this playlist available for offline use on my iPad.  

7.  Spotify crashes. 

8.  From this point forward, Spotify crashes everytime I try to open it.  

To work properly and actually download the playlist to my iPad

What actually happened

The playlist began to download, and then within 20 seconds Spotify on my iPad crashed.   

My iPad/iPhone model

New iPad-mini

IOS 6.0.1

No

Over 60

My Ipad Spotify version

App 0.5.8.73

MacBook Pro w/ Mountain Lion  

Spotify 0.8.5.1333.g822e0de8

My provider and country

ATT USA

My username

s3raphim

Nothing to show

this is annoying, same problem here since one week.

temp. workaround: use the "spotify for ios4" version. it's a bit older, but i doesn't crash every time you select your playlists.

I'm back on spotify for ios4 myself and it works for now as we have no choice. Still, I'm pretty amazed at how long we have to wait for this to be fixed. The involvement and interest from spotify customer relations seems no be non existent.

Suggested posts