Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Solved!

iOS update 0.5.8 crashes constantly on iPad

Update: iOS update 0.5.9 has fixed the stability issues. Please update now and test it out.

The new iOS 0.5.8 update has killed the iPad app. Even after reinstall it constantly crashes. What's going on?

I'm running iOS 6.0.1 on the 4th generation iPad. 

Spotify can't seem to get their act together...

New update also kills the people tab on the iPad.

When clicking on the people tab, friends are shown for a few seconds and then the list disappears.

This happens on every re-launch. There is no way to get the people list to show for more than 3 seconds.

Also after clicking on settings and clicking on a settings menu on the iPad, the settings back arrow is cut off at the top.

My music experience has been ruined by these bugs.

UPDATE: 

I was able to use the app for a while -- notice the other bugs I found --  and after downloading playlists for offline use, the app started crashing.

Looks like downloading any playlist for offline use will constantly crash the app until you reinstall the app.

The most used feature on the iPad app constantly crashes the app?

What...? Updates need more testing before going live.

I would be happy to help test future updates.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.
236 Replies

I have been gettingthis same issue for several months on both iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

The iOs Spotify app seems to freeze on launch on then crash. The only fix is to delete the app and download it again and then have to download/synch ALL of my playlists again. Very annoying and makeing me rethink my premium membership. It takes hours and hours to resycn the playlists I want available offline. I expect better stability for my money.

The issue seems to occur if I create new playlists in the iOs device. If I then go onto the Mac version of Spotify so I can create Playlist folders (btw why is this not available to be done from the mobile device?), then move new playlists into various folders, when I luanch the app again on iOs (iPad or iPhone) this now seems to make it freeze and then crash. It appears to be related to this folder sych issue.

Please fix.

I might need to go back to my previous music purchase methods via iTunes.

Yes, that does appear to be the problem. My wife wanted to listen to Train so I play listed all the albums on the computer then put them into a folder then app started crashing again on all devices. Did NOT crash on Tuesday when I playlisted a couple of new releases, just when I put things into a folder.

Just chiming in with same issue here.

My details:

IPHONE MODEL: 4

IOS 6.1.2

SPOTIFY VERSION: 0.5.10 (or whatever latest iOS version is)

APPROX CRASH FREQUENCY: Every time I open it, after about 3-5 seconds

JAILBROKEN: No

I tried some suggestions from other threads, such as turning off gapless playback, setting crossfade to 0, etc. Also, deleted and reinstalled. No luck. I don't have anything sync'd Offline, but I do have maybe 20 or so playlists, some with hundreds of songs.

Hi Marbeltea - We released an iOS update (0.6.0) just last week. 

Please be sure you have that update and give it another go. 

Description
The Spotify app on my iPhone 4S crashes at startup every time. It is now unusable.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps
1. Updated to the latest version of the Spotify app (0.6.4)
2. On trying to open the updated app it crashed.
3. I tried resetting the app (closing from the taskbar & restarting)
4. I tried closing all apps and rebooting iPhone
5. I deleted the spotify app and reinstalled, multiple times with no change

What I expected to happen
The app to work as advertised

What actually happened
The app has become unusable

My iPad/iPhone model
iPhone 4S

Device’s Operating System
iOS 6.1.3

Is your device jailbroken?
No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
n/a

My provider and country
AT&T, US

My username
Havoctom

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?
No - app crashes on startup

I'm having the same issues. Can you please take a look at mine and tell me how I can fix it. Constantly crashing and not able to do a thing with. As a premium member I'm very disappointed and hope u can fix it fast or I'm deleting my membership with you's.

I can't even open Spotify with my iPad, haven't been able to do this for a couple of days now. Nothing helps, extremely disappointed, as I pay premium price for the service. Fix the bugs of your latest version, please!

If it's version 0.7.1 and keeps crashing it could be this bug. Try changing the regin format as outlined there.

@BoL wrote:
I can't even open Spotify with my iPad, haven't been able to do this for a couple of days now. Nothing helps, extremely disappointed, as I pay premium price for the service. Fix the bugs of your latest version, please!

Description
Every time I attempt to make a playlist available offline, Spotify unexpectedly crashes. Reinstalling has proved useless.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps
1. I select playlist
2. I select "download playlist"
3. The app is unresponsive, then shuts down
4. On reopening it recognises that said playlist was selected for download, yet does not download it (as screenshot will demonstrate)

My iPad/iPhone model
Eg. iPad

Device’s Operating System

Is your device jailbroken: no

Approximately how many playlists do you have?
Between 40 and 60, only one is successfully synced for offline use

My mobile Spotify version
E.g. 0.9.3.212

My provider and country
Eg. Telstra: Australia

My username:
Can't find it on iPad, I always log in with facebook

In the screenshot you can see the "0 out so and so tracks synced" yet, no downloading symbol in the left sidebar (though the internet data is enabled and working)
image.jpg

@Mishis - Can you just confirm:
- You have at least 1GB+ of free storage space left on your device.
- You haven't already synced more than 3,333 tracks.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have over a gig and have not downloaded any songs at all since a reinstallation

This just started crashing for me today. I'm pissed since I pay for spotify every month and there's no easy way to get support for issues like this.

I've got the same problem. Okey my iPad is from the stone age but I used to be able to run spotify perfectly on it. A while back I noticed that it sometimes refused to play my songs. Didn't matter if I tried changing song or reclicked the play button. Nothing happened. Finally I tried to solve the issue by deleting spotify and reinstalling it as spotify "help" suggested. This made it worse. Now I get a complete white blanc screen when I open the app with only the buttons on the side showing. If I try to click them the application crashes. I've tried reinstalling deleting about ten times now. Same result. I am currently writing this from my iPad. Everything is working fine except spotify :'(

Got iOS 5.1.1 (can't update further with stone age iPad)

I am having this problem, too. Ipad 2 up to date iOS. Latest Spotify app crashes until a power down/power up of the iPad. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the app twice. It just gets worse. I can log in but NOTHING loads now. Just those 3 dots . . . ad naseum. 

Would like to add to all complaints on Spotify crashes. Using first generation iPad2 om iOs 9.0 and experiencing continuous crashes when using Spotify in combination with other iPad apps.

This problem has occurred on earlier Spotify software versions in combination with earlier iOs versions also and should be well known at Spotify but is not fixed.

completely agree with other posts that Spotify seems unable to 'get their act together' on this issue. 

Spotify keeps crashing after playing 2-3 songs or every 5-6 mins.

• iPhone 6
• Not Jailbroken
• Only 8 playlists
• IOS 9.3.5
• Spotify version 5.7.0.1055

Problems with crashing and freezing when skipping songs since 10 update.

Suggested posts