Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone 8 battery drain - background refresh disabled

iPhone 8 battery drain - background refresh disabled

Although I’ve disabled background app refresh, I’m getting massive battery drain and even significant heat from my phone. Every time I check the battery over 50% of usage is through Spotify with 95% of that usage being in the background.

I’ve heard of similar issues “resolved” by downloading your playlist then going offline, but this would seem to diminish the value of the app itself and make me wonder, why not use Apple Music? - I hate their UI, playlists, and suggestions... but is sacrificing your phone’s life every day worth it?

3 Replies

Does your phone get hot as well? Especially on the charger?

It definitely gets hot if I haven’t closed out Spotify, unsure on whether charging makes a difference. 

Switched to Apple Music a few hours ago after deleting and unsubscribing from Spotify... zero issues! My battery is holding charge like a champ, not running hot, and general performance of the phone is way better even when playing music... I guess bc it’s not using up tons of memory doing whatever it’s doing in the background. 

Hope Spotify resolves this issue, would return in a heart beat but Apple’s performance far out measures Spotify at this point. 

Suggested posts